Common Topics On 70-271 Exam

DnA1409DnA1409 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Please can those who have done the MCDST 70-271 exam fill me in on what areas the exam concentrates most on? I have read alot of posts where people have said there is alot on networking and VPN but would be nice to know of any others?

Comments

• WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Very little VPN from what I recall, mostly troubleshooting network issues from the command line, which crop up again and again in your studies.

IE 6 security & privacy is big too. Check the exam objectives below. 272 is an easier exam to start of with, if you know Office XP or 2003. On 272 they sometimes throw in a question about Office 2000, the main reason they do this is because whatever feature they are talking about has been around since then. They are not trying to trick you when they ask you about software that is no longer supported.

MCDST still seems to be popular but you should look to do the upgrade exam 70-621 as soon as you can, once you complete MCDST. That is made up of the 620 & 622 exams combined, 620 is easy but 622 is a lot harder exam in comparison to either 271 or 272. Good luck!

Preparation Guide for Exam 70-271: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System
    Preparation Guide for Exam 70-272: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System
    Preparation Guide for Exam 70-621: PRO: Upgrading Your MCDST Certification to MCITP Enterprise Support
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • DnA1409DnA1409 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool, i like the sound of the MCITP, although since switching to Vista i have realised they have left very little consistancy between this version of windows and Windows XP so there would be much to learn!

It says that the candidate should have 3-5 years of experience as a Tier-2 or lead desktop support technician and i dont think i fall into either of those categories, would that matter? I presume this would just mean that i would have to just have to put more effort in to learn the material?

I have thought alot about continuing my studies after this exam to develop my skills towards MCSA/MCSE as i would like to further my career.
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    DnA1409 wrote: »
    It says that the candidate should have 3-5 years of experience as a Tier-2 or lead desktop support technician and i dont think i fall into either of those categories, would that matter? I presume this would just mean that i would have to just have to put more effort in to learn the material?
    I have seen people with less experience handle these exams no problem. Good luck!
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Whats the deal with the upgrade exam for MCDST? Should you just take the 620 if you haven't taken the 271 or 272?
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• gandalphgpgandalphgp Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The upgrade exam is the 70-621
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-621.mspx

common topics on the exam 271

IE security
    DHCP + APIPA
    Printers
    Shares and NTFS permissions
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gandalphgp wrote: »
    The upgrade exam is the 70-621
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-621.mspx

common topics on the exam 271

IE security
    DHCP + APIPA
    Printers
    Shares and NTFS permissions

Thanks for the heads up on the test....I was noticing some of those questions in practice test i've been taking. I was trying to see was it superflous of me to take the 271 & 272 if I haven't already.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda