WSUS v2 or v3 on exam?

mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered before, but does the 290 exam test on WSUS v2 or v3?

Thanks!!

Comments

• someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered before, but does the 290 exam test on WSUS v2 or v3?

Thanks!!

I would assume v3 since it covers v3 in the books. Well it tells you to download the latest version. But there is no web administration console in v3, only a snap in.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pretty much what i thought, i use the snap in at work as we use v3.
    I am just concerned as i used to study for this exam a year ago, but got sidetracked and now i'm coming back to it, i have some old transcenders, and the mspress book from a weeks course i went on, both of which focus on wsus v2.

aaarrghhh!!
    need to know which one to study!
    Pretty much what i thought, i use the snap in at work as we use v3.
    I am just concerned as i used to study for this exam a year ago, but got sidetracked and now i'm coming back to it, i have some old transcenders, and the mspress book from a weeks course i went on, both of which focus on wsus v2.

aaarrghhh!!
    need to know which one to study!

Doesn't hurt to know both =0)
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There were no 2.0 or 3.0 specific questions. Just know the fundamentals of how WSUS works. Like deployment scenarios, differences between upstream servers and downstream servers, etc.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    *doesnt hurt to learn both*
    Correct! Which is what I will be doing!

Thanks for the info!
  • qnetqnet Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm glad I did a search on this subject, I was wondering the same thing.
    From what i can gather in a recent post by someone else, v3 is on the exam.
    I have since been studying both just in case, i have installed v3 in a vm environment and all is well! :)
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On none of my MCSE exams did I have questions that were specific to one version or another. They MENTIONED versions in the questions, but all of the questions were very conceptual. You did not need to know one version or another to get the answer correct.
    From what i can gather in a recent post by someone else, v3 is on the exam.
    I have since been studying both just in case, i have installed v3 in a vm environment and all is well! :)

I have it running on our domain environment and all is good.
  • qnetqnet Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WSUS is a interesting subject. I like studying for this exam and I'm learning a lot. I think I like the V3 better than I would have liked the V2. It took a while to synchronize on my lab server but, it's cool to see how it works.
    It look mine agggeeeessss to sync. I'm running at 1.5mbps adsl link!!! when i chose my products to download for, it would have taken about 2 weeks to sync, so i chose xp only and when that had finished i chose a few more etc :)

my internet connection is crap!

WSUS on the other hand i like, its working perfectly now.

A few handy pointers:

Remember to check c:\windows\windowsupdate.log to see whats happening.

and run

'wuauclt /detectnow' on the client to manually ask it to look for updates. :)
  • NozzaCNozzaC Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    someeh wrote: »
    I would assume v3 since it covers v3 in the books. Well it tells you to download the latest version. But there is no web administration console in v3, only a snap in.

Ahhh....that would explain why I wasted about 3 hours trying to get the website to work!

Does this change anything re: the client side setting "Set the intranet update service location"?
    NozzaC wrote: »
    Ahhh....that would explain why I wasted about 3 hours trying to get the website to work!

Does this change anything re: the client side setting "Set the intranet update service location"?

You do all this within a new GPO for the WSUServer, do not use the domain default policy if you are using AD.
    Don't worry lol I wasted some time myself trying to get the website to work. Remember when you specify a target group in the client side setting, make sure you make it the same in the Update services console so that when your policy syncs up with the # of clients you have, they will sync into that computer group. ex. client side target group> WSUS Pc's
    Update servers> computer group WSUS Pc's.
    Make sure in the Update service console you set it to use GPO and registry settings.
  • NozzaCNozzaC Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You do all this within a new GPO for the WSUServer, do not use the domain default policy if you are using AD.
    Don't worry lol I wasted some time myself trying to get the website to work. Remember when you specify a target group in the client side setting, make sure you make it the same in the Update services console so that when your policy syncs up with the # of clients you have, they will sync into that computer group. ex. client side target group> WSUS Pc's
    Update servers> computer group WSUS Pc's.
    Make sure in the Update service console you set it to use GPO and registry settings.

Hmm interesting. It was the Sybex book that instructed to use the domain default GPO.
    NozzaC wrote: »
    Hmm interesting. It was the Sybex book that instructed to use the domain default GPO.

Sybex is a good book, but I'm sure there were newer versions of software already out during it's writings that it does not cover.
    Sybex is a good book, but I'm sure there were newer versions of software already out during it's writings that it does not cover.

Agreed, however it certainly seems odd that a reputable book would suggest to use the default domain policy even in any edition. strange!