Exchange Question/Issue

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
On Friday one of our users started experiencing problems printing from outlook – but when I looked closer it wasn’t a printing problem, it was connecting to exchange altogether.

She is still receiving email, but cannot send (or print). When I try to create a new email and click on the “TO” box to select the recipient, it tells me that it is not connected to exchange. It also is supposed to prompt for login password, which it is not doing.

I renamed her outlook.ost file in Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, archived some old emails, uninstalled and reinstalled the printer (I can print to it from other applications), and tried a different rj-45 jack on a different switch.

Any ideas?

*XP sp3 all the updates, Office 2007

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Can you ping the Exchange server from her workstation?

Can she access her mailbox via Outlook Web Access? How about from another computer with Outlook?
    Good luck to all!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can she send from OWA?
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Can you ping the Exchange server from her workstation?

Can she access her mailbox via Outlook Web Access? How about from another computer with Outlook?

yes and yes.

OWA works no problems.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Sounds like it is an Outlook client issue and not an Exchange issue.

Make sure it is not an Offline Address Book issue by selecting a name from the All Users address list (which is always in online mode) instead of the Global Address List (which runs in offline mode when Outlook is in cached mode).

Test her Outlook by holding down the Ctrl key and right-clicking on the Outlook icon in the system tray. The menu should give you a couple of testing options. One is to verify Connection Status and the other is to Test E-mail Autoconfiguration (which will also test the availability service and OAB). Let us know if you see any errors.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Create a new Outlook profile.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Thanks for the input guys.

I finally just uninstalled the Office 2007 suite, deleted the folders, and reinstalled. I tried to just do Outlook, but that didnt work, had to redo the suite.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Create a new Outlook profile.

This fixes 95% of weird problems like that.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...