GPO disable of automtaic updates ?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys
I have tried all kinds of settings what works to disable automatic updates on each client xp machine in a domain? does anyone have a clue i dont?
thanksicon_redface.gif

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Computer Configuration > Administratrive Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates
    If the status is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on the Windows Update Web site must be downloaded and installed manually by going to Microsoft Windows Update.

Easiest thing to do would be point them to a WSUS server. Then you can roll out whatever updates you want or simply approve nothing and nothing will be pushed out.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Computer Configuration > Administratrive Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates

And if you don't see this, make sure you have the wuau.adm template.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RTMarc
    true that...Our WSUS is sick right now and all the pc are defaulted to their client automatic updates to be on and I do not want the updates for users to click on. we do not want SP3 yet and employees are clicking on updates on their own. I want the automatic updates on client pcs shut off which one will do this??? you gave me the folder only do you know which one? Automatic Updates configured? disable that? should I set the GPO to enforced????icon_study.gif
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Configure Automatic Updates is the setting to look at. You can also point it at a non-existent WSUS object for the time being. It will perpetually fail and thus, no updates. Gives you time to repair/rebuild your current WSUS server.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks will try it again. I appreicate your help...I guess I will be patient and let you know if it works
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    There is also a setting to specifically deny access to Microsoft Update as well. It removes all links, etc in the OS so the user cant just go there.