Options

Advice on career path

Techexams_unoTechexams_uno Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings all,

Background:
- mid 30s.
- BS in CS
- IT experience - 5+ years in Helpdesk Support (3+ years with current comapny)
- Working two jobs (one is more hardware oriented; the other is software support)
- No cert

I feel I am lost in career. I want to get out of helpdesk, I am sick of taking calls. In my company, it's not easy to move from helpdesk to other IT teams. Part of the reason is they do not hire people with no related experience. Because of that, we're not going to have related experience unless you go to other companies.

I am not in hurry mode because I am making okay money from two jobs. However, I cannot do it forever, and definiately need to define (re-define) my career path now.

There's a (entry level) developer job opening in my current company. I hope that if I make a lateral move, I'd keep my current pay rate. However, if I'd get that job, I'd not be able to do my 2nd job. And there's no way I'd make the same amount of money that I have right now.

- Should I start from the beginning?
- If you were me, would you think you'd waste your past 5 years? I had a chance to become a programmer 5 years ago, but I picked a different route.
- What kind of programming language will have a better career path? (job description does not mention)
- If I do cert like CCNA or MCSE or etc, I'd have to start from beginning somewhere. Then, income (from entry level job) would be my concern.

Thanks for taking time to read this long thread. But I really need some advice. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    You have a lot of options! The hardest part for many people is getting that first IT job, and you have 5 years experience. You are way ahead of the game.

Do what you enjoy. It sounds like you may have to change companies to improve your position, but after you add a few certifications to compliment your experience, you will have a lot of options.

The are a lot of knowledgeable people on these forums who can advise you about which certifications to go for, but believe it or not the help desk experience you have will be a big asset.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    1. Figure out what you want to do. Do you like networking, sysadmin, programming?

2. Get a certification.

3. Network like hell, you may already have some connections you are unaware of.

4. Make your resume look absolutely flawless.

5. Apply anywhere and everywhere for applicable jobs.

You already have 5 years of experience, you should not have to start with an entry level job. You just need to find an employer that is willing to give you a chance (they are out there).
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    No time spent on helpdesk is ever wasted although 5 years is pushing it a bit and you are seriously starting to pidgeon hole yourself.

Also, unfortunately nobody can ever tell you what to do with your career. They can give advice on different paths but it is really up to you to decide what you would enjoy doing and make the decision to move.
    Kam.