Options

HTI+?

KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
Wassup with CompTIA HTI+?
Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    It looks to me like it's some kind of general home electrician certification. It actually has two tests: one for residential setup and one for wiring. It doesn't seem very IT to me, so I guess CompTIA is starting to certify in other professions. It seems a bit strange to say the least, but I guess it could be useful if you work at Best Buy or something like that.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It's more than 'just' a home electrician cert, it's about 'home automation', which I personally find very interesting.... hooking up everything to your PC and control the curtains and the bath by a click on a mouse button... or PDA :).

Don't think it will do wonders on a resume in the IT industry... probably making the study material much more interesting than to pass the exams and get the cert.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I asked many people about these one.

Some said, "WHAT?"
    Some said, "finally about time to get everything together."
    Some said, "Don't care"

Will it take off? We will find out, but definitly not for me.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I doubt that it will take off. There are other industries that are also looking at that area, or offer training/certification already.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    AvatarAvatar Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I find it a very interesting field as I've been integrating my computer with other systems to make a "smart home" for some time now. It is a field that is pretty much just starting. And the best thing is, it has to be done physically. They can't outsource this one.

If you love hooking up stereos, tv's, computers etc than this is the field.

Eventially I want to have my system operate via voice. Just like star trek.
    Now if we can just get replicators and transporters working. icon_wink.gif

There are only 10 types of people
    Those that understand binary and those that don't
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I might need to look at this one...Then maybe I can get my media room finished. I have only been working on it for a year now...haha icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    home automation interesting.. what happens when you get a virus?? .
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Chrisw83Chrisw83 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good field to get into I Think, and with pc and networking certs to combine with that field, is a plus. I am considering going HTI route.
    Man dont drink coffee on empty stomach, man this makes brain feel like crap.

peace
    Working towards MCDST and HTI+
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Webmaster wrote:
    It's more than 'just' a home electrician cert, it's about 'home automation', which I personally find very interesting.... hooking up everything to your PC and control the curtains and the bath by a click on a mouse button... or PDA :).

Don't think it will do wonders on a resume in the IT industry... probably making the study material much more interesting than to pass the exams and get the cert.

I was thinking it would be good to have, I saw a job in Florida asking for THI+ and they was offering $50k with benifits!
  • Options
    HÆLLRÆZORHÆLLRÆZOR Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    home automation interesting.. what happens when you get a virus?? .

Your home takes on a life of its own and starts trying to kill you and anyone who enters it. Muahhahahah
  • Options
    bananamanbananaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've passed the HTI+ Infrastructure exam. it wasn't that hard. But I just don't have the time to learn the Residential systems exam. It has HVAC, water systems, surveillance, Networking, Audio/video, automated devices, etc. Its a lot of stuff to take in. Not to mention the objectives list on CompTIA for it is like 23 pages long @.@ But the good thing is Networking counts for 25% of the exam, its the largest module. I used Exam Cram2 HTI+ by Ed Tittel
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Congrats! What score did you get?
  • Options
    I believe it was 796. Passing score wasn't very high either. same as Network+ just about.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Does the Exam Cram 2 book only cover the Infrastructure exam or both exam objectives?
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats, DanDaMAN!

That Residetial sounds like a Tech School fruit salad! I don't know how you would set up a home lab for something like that.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Exam Cram2 book covers both tests. Its a very good book and it also has the CompTIA approved logo on it. The Infrastructure part is about 100 pages. The rest of the book is Residential systems. and its a pretty big book. Residential stuff is just to overwhelming for right now. But someday I'll take it. I care more about Sec+ and CCNA at the moment.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Yep! If your going to, or are presently, working in a network environment, that's definitely the way to go.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    DanDaMAN,

Thanks for the feedback. As a fairly new and obscure set of exam objectives, its nice to hear from someone who has actually studied for it a bit.

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    PaddingtonPaddington Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just discovered that cert myself i am an electrician(retired) who after a neck injury got to start school over again.
    Just finishing a course in CCNA now hope i can get the cert real soon and then i will look into the HTI + one as i think there is noone else in Norway who will have that.
    Though the "smart houses" seem to be far and few between there are a few of them getting built so maybe it could be just the right time to get the cert.
    Paddington.jpg