Giving outsourced IT the boot

qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm pretty sure this is the right place to post this on so....

The company I am currently working for is looking to remove their outsourced IT company from the picture. I am now tasked on compiling a "what do we need form them" list. I'd like, from the good ppl here to give me some suggestions as to what should be on this "list". So far I have the following:

router/firewall/switch passwords/configs
backup and restore procedures on all systems...
login/passwords to all systems
documentation on maintenance procedures etc..
warranty info on hardware and license info on software..

Does any one have any suggestions as to what we should be asking for?

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Contract for them to supply you with stuff both of you forgot about
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    First off, there are always going to be "little" things you are going to miss. Keep them on retainer for at least 6 months if possible. Most companies will just hand you "Everything" they have.

We really need a lot more information from you.
    How many desktops/servers?
    Are you Linux or Microsoft?
    Cisco or Juniper?
    What kind of business do you do?
    How many users? How many VIPs?

I would need an insight into your infrastructure to get started really.

The design books from the MCSE 70-297/70-298/70-299 and the CCDA are packed full of the right questions to ask about infrastructure. I would also recommend following the info in the Creating the Secure Managed Desktop, a good light read. These go into great details on inheriting a network. Certification aside, they are just good solid information that every admin needs to ask.

Once you have the stuff, start with your workflow diagrams and org charts. Follow the technology in use and ensure you have application documentations. Log into each device one by one.

Either way,
    1) ticket history sorted by application/device/user
    2) Hours per day of support, so you hire enough people. Dont forget to factor in for vacation sick time, business expectations.
    3) layer 3 network diagrams
    4) layer 2 diagrams
    5) server room chart
    6) system baselines for the last year or more... this will help you identify when a server is about to become overworked
    7) network baseline
    icon_cool.gif on going projects
    9) licensing for first party
    10) Licensing for third party
    11) VOIP call flow charts
    12) List of VIPs
    13) List off business application/system owners/stake holders
    14) list of decision makers
    15) Items under warranty, and those that are out of warranty
    16) Remote infrastructure diagrams, 3rd party access? Mobile users?
    17) List of of support hardware for system images
    1icon_cool.gif copy of currently SLAs vs. their actual performance, this is VERY important in order to prove your actions both technical and political were for the "better".
    19) ISP information, you need your circuit IDs and contact information. Call the ISP and make sure you are on their contact list for downages and can call in for any changes)
    20) Third party applicaiton support contacts, warranties, SLAs .
    21) Training programs, how do you train your internal staff? vtc.com? Internal sessions?
    22) Wiring standards... OJ for cross over etc etc
    23) Naming conventions for email, AD accounts, server, workstations
    24) Asset a management documents, how many workstations/server. What is the policy for reinventorying them? monthly? Quarterly?
    25) License tracking system
    26) Backup routines and how they are off sited
    27) How often do you verify your backups
    2icon_cool.gif Patch management, who on the user side tests and approves a role out?
    29) Colo access and hours of operation. Aka, when does the colo power tests? Network test etc.
    30) Web hosting, SLA, contact information, ensure you are on the list etc etc.
    31) Web design, who is in charge of the content?
    32) Ceritficates in place, and their experation dates, contact info etc
    33) Current monitors in place. Alerting system will need to be updated

You need solid numbers to prove you are making the right moves. Users never like change. Be sure to make sure your IT staff becomes friends with the user's. This is the best way to win them over.

Over all as you take over make sure don't become the same people you just fired. Have a vision that the business shares for your IT envionment.

Edit: Read this, I think it ports well
    http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid1_gci1340200,00.html
    -Daniel
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Did you happen to take my old position? icon_lol.gif
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    job loss recently?
    -Daniel
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Remember also that you may get your data back but if your infrastructure with them is in anyway shared with any other of their clients, you won't be getting it. You really need to know what kit you own and what they own.

Also, Configs are typically wiped prior to removal from data centres as they contain their addresses and vpns, etc. Mine certainly are. When clients leave us, the networking kit leaves clean as a whistle.

This isn't really that big of a deal to the data centre. Clients come.. Clients go.. Is part of the natural cycle of an outsourcing company.
    Kam.