Advice on what certification to target?

KujoKujo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was laid off in March after 3 years at the particular company. I was a Desktop Support Tech. I have over 8 years of experience in total.

I currently have A+ (obtained in 1999), and Network+ certs (obtained in 2005). I was in the process of studying for Server+ as I would like to try target IT job with more networking/server responsibilities. It seems like Server+ is not a cert in demand by employers, and it maybe a waste of time/money getting this cert.

I'm thinking it would make more sense to at least get MCP, and then I could at least branch into more MS cert paths from there. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a Cisco cert, but I understand this wouldn't make much sense without on the job experience. I know CCENT is the entry level Cisce cert, perhaps it would be worth getting.

I've always tried to focus on getting a cert in between jobs to upgrade my skills/resume. I'm really confused this time out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being someone who laid off several times, I can relate to what you are going through. I don't know what area of the country you are in, but when I was out looking for a job 2 years ago, I saw ZERO posts for Server+. The headhunters all liked that I had multiple CompTIA certs, but they REALLY wanted me to have some Microsoft certs (which I did not have at that time)

You said you have 8 years of experience, so why not go with either the 70-620 or 70-290 route? The 70-620 counts towards both the 2003 AND 2008 tracks. The 70-290 would be a good way to break into the server side of things. Plus, you have the 2nd shot til June 30th to help you out as well. That, coupled with this website and the right lab and books, you cant miss.

You seem to have the experience to back it up. But it REALLY depends on what you want to do. Systems admin, network admin, continue with desktop support (I am guessing/hoping no on this one).

Basically, from what I experienced was the MCP (or CCNA if you want to go with net admin) is the fastest way to get your resume noticed.

The headhunters all look for buzzwords on your resume (online and in person) and if you aren't fitting that hole they need filled, you get tossed.

Good luck with your job hunting and studying and let us know what you decide on

BreadFan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• KujoKujo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Breadfan wrote: »
    Being someone who laid off several times, I can relate to what you are going through. I don't know what area of the country you are in, but when I was out looking for a job 2 years ago, I saw ZERO posts for Server+. The headhunters all liked that I had multiple CompTIA certs, but they REALLY wanted me to have some Microsoft certs (which I did not have at that time)

You said you have 8 years of experience, so why not go with either the 70-620 or 70-290 route? The 70-620 counts towards both the 2003 AND 2008 tracks. The 70-290 would be a good way to break into the server side of things. Plus, you have the 2nd shot til June 30th to help you out as well. That, coupled with this website and the right lab and books, you cant miss.

You seem to have the experience to back it up. But it REALLY depends on what you want to do. Systems admin, network admin, continue with desktop support (I am guessing/hoping no on this one).

Basically, from what I experienced was the MCP (or CCNA if you want to go with net admin) is the fastest way to get your resume noticed.

The headhunters all look for buzzwords on your resume (online and in person) and if you aren't fitting that hole they need filled, you get tossed.

Good luck with your job hunting and studying and let us know what you decide on

BreadFan

Thanks for the feedback. I'm Toronto, ON Canada.

I recently noticed the 2nd shot MS offer for their exams, so it definitely makes more sense to go after a MS cert right now.

I did get exposure to Windows 2003 Server in my last job (primarily Active Directory), so I think I would lean towards 70-290. I was contemplating doing 70-270 just to get MCP, but I would benefit more from 70-290 since I want move towards server/network support/administration.

I hate Vista, so I would hesitant to do the 70-620 exam. icon_wink.gif

Plus, I think most companies are stilling running XP, skipped upgrading Vista altogether, and will likely make the move to Windows 7.

I know MS will have Windows 7 as part of their next cert path/program at some point , so I would be willing to wait until then.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    The second shot offer expires 6/30 so hurry up and pass one of the first exams to become an MCP. It shouldn't be hard. Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%