DC Jobs

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey anyone here live in the Washington DC area? Any company recommendations or pointers for finding a job in the area?

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Hey anyone here live in the Washington DC area? Any company recommendations or pointers for finding a job in the area?

TS/SCI clearance is the best recommendation I can give you
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    What position are you looking for?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would love a security job (security analyst, network security admin), but realistically I'm shooting for system admin, linux admin, or system engineer. Mostly anything that is higher then helpdesk or technician that will allow me to build experience.
    I would love a security job (security analyst, network security admin), but realistically I'm shooting for system admin, linux admin, or system engineer. Mostly anything that is higher then helpdesk or technician that will allow me to build experience.

Do you have any security experience? I "might" be able to help you.
    I would look into GDIT right now because they are hiring people like crazy in the security field. To be honest with you, most of the people they have hired have come from either help desk or desktop support. I am going to try and get a contact number for you.
    Hey thanks, I'll look into that company too.

Anyone know what the process for obtaining a security clearance is? I usually thought that the companies will pay for you to get one if they make you a job offer......or is it something that you get before even interviewing?
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    As others have mentioned, having a security clearance is a big advantage in this area. You could find a great well paying job that will also sponsor your clearance, but most of them will not even talk to you if you don't have a clearance. The best ways to get a clearance are to:

1) take a crappy or lower paying job for a while, one that will sponsor your clearance
    2) score an internship that puts you in for your clearance
    3) join the military

I know people who have worked as janitors in a cleared facility until they received their clearance. My wife got her Top Secret clearance through an internship.

After that, I would say the job market out here is very good compared to the rest of the slumped economy. Most of the jobs are government related and the government keeps spending!

Put yourself out there on the job boards (Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice, Hotjobs...etc) Also, there are frequent job fairs out here as well.

Good luck.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    In my current position was a temp to perm pending on my secret clearance. My clearance only took 4 months because my life is boring. I went though a placement agency. (Jobs, Online Job Search, Professional Staffing Services, Resource - Kforce) A lot of the Sr. technical position will require you to have a secret or higher. It’s really not that bad. There are still plenty of positions that do not require a clearance. Some contract positions only require a back ground check, like when I worked for the DOJ & PBGC. Just stay away from the doctors, lawyers and scientist offices.

Good luck!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    You may want to look up the road some to the Ft. Meade area. With BRAC on the way, new jobs are opening up in the area. In addition, any gig you get will most likely require a security clearance.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, I've been applying/looking into all these things and jobs left and right. Hopefully I hear from someone soon because NY is just miserable...

Does anyone know if family member(s) already have clearance if it helps or eases me getting a clearance?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nah family having a clearance isn't going to help you. You shouldn't have an issue finding a company willing to get you cleared. I see as many posting looking for people with a clearance as I do ones looking for people who have skills and can be cleared. It just sucks that DC is expensive and the traffic is terrible. But like someone said, getting into any position to get cleared is a good route. Company will get to know you and you'll have access to internal posting others wouldn't see. Look at Lockheed Martin, Northrop Gruman, and Boeing as they hire for security positions. I've also seen postings from AT&T for various security position as some government agencies. Also, if you have a degree, look at going directly to the government (as someone else suggested). DoD should be hiring a lot of information assurance people pretty soon see they have got or are getting a lot of funding for it. US is lagging behind in the Information Warfare arena and now we are playing catch-up! Good luck man!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    I've heard of lockheed martin but I've also heard mixed reviews about working for them....any opinions? They seem like a reasonable company.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    All the beltway bandits (NG, Boeing, LockHeed, SAIC, CSC, etc) are pretty much the same. BIG and Hungry. I work for one of the beltway bandit and I have worked for smaller companies too. I MY opinion, I think the smaller companies offer a little more as far as 401K, PTO, etc. The company I'm with not, you have to stay with them for 5 YEARS in order to be vested 100% in your 401K. Bigger companies are more ridged due to the fact that they are publicly owned.

Just my opinion.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My buddies dad has been with Lockheed forever! He makes awesome money, but like any older guy has some complaints. He's on the business end of things (still has the title of Engineer though), but he travels all over the country all the time. But like the above poster said, their all pretty much the same. Seems Lockheed does have some good educational programs, they can charge more for you when you get the advanced degrees ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff