Time to switch jobs..

Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just finished having a Pre-Interview via phone for a Network/System Administrator position. I think it went fairly well, one of the better ones I've had. The person on the other end seem to be quite impressed. Near the end of the call we were setting up a 2nd interview this time for an in-person with the VP. It's either going to be Thursday or Friday. I have meetings all day Thursday so I suggested that it be on Friday, but I could be flexible if I needed to. That wouldn't hurt me that I said that would it?

Also when I applied the listing for the job it was in Toronto, the guy explained that the actual job is in Kingston and that the head office is located in T.O. This threw me for a loop as I wasn’t expecting that.

They touched on salary briefly but thanks to some of the forums on here, I was able to side step that question without sidestepping it. :)

I'll be honest my current job is a BORE!! I do nothing all day just kind of waste away as a Sys Admin, though it gives me lots of time to study.... I currently make 45K a yr. I will not get a raise until mid 2010 at the earliest icon_twisted.gif. I've gone over the job description again to try and get a feel for what they might be offering in terms of salary but it’s vague so it’s hard to get a grasp on that.
WIP: 70-647 (5%)

Comments

• joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Yeah, I have learned to ask what their salary range is prior to the first interview, during the inital call when setting up the interview. Nothing worse than getting a job offer on that "perfect" job after the second interview and it being 10k less than you currently make. In your case you can always see what they are going to throw out there to you before you accept the job and quit your current job. If its less and you like the opportunity then you can always try to negotiate.
  • Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    *Update*

I just received this email. icon_cheers.gif

"Does a possible meeting this Friday morning at 130PM work for you

It’d be a preliminary meeting with yourself, myself, and the VP to discuss your various qualifications and the type of candidate we’re looking for."

Good news to start my day!! Although the only thing that caught my eye was the word "preliminary" I always assumed the Phone Interview was the preliminary meeting..
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    nice one fella icon_smile.gif congrats on getting this far... I wouldnt worry about the prelimanry wording, chances are they use the phone as a screener then get people in for face 2 face.
    Then more than likely get them in 2nd time together with HR get that far your certainly in with a good shout icon_smile.gif
    all good fun now go nail it.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    The part that caught my eye was Friday MORNING at 1:30 pm... hm

Congrats!
    Dustin Leefers
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    leefdaddy wrote: »

Congrats!
    It's morning in some part of the world! icon_lol.gif
    Ha Ha! nice catch :D.. I didn't notice that. Guess they wanted me to come in Friday morning, but changed the times.
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Congrats! Go in there and knock it out of the park.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats, and good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    leefdaddy wrote: »

Congrats!

yeah i just figured that was a typo in the post.... if not then I'd be double checking the time....

and no where in the world is PM morning... lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only way to ever make money is to job hop and own wherever you work. Good luck icon_cheers.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Had the interview today, was a little skeptical when I drove up. The outside of the building looked like crap; however the inside was the complete opposite. I Arrived 10mins early and figured I would be sitting and waiting until 1:30 for my interview. Nope as soon as I walked in I was directed to the board room and the interview started. The entire interview last 60-80mins. I didn't realize just how long it was until I was back in my car.

They seemed quite impressed with my skills and such. They even offered some criticism of skills I need to work on. I liked receiving the constructive criticism. They touched on the salary a bit. They hammered me to find out what I was making. I gave them a broad range said (mid 40’s to mid 50’s). They tried to get me to move but I wouldn’t budge on that. I've never been pressed like that for a salary range so I was a bit taken back.

I am just working on the thank you note and I'll wait to hear back.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Cool, sounds good, good luck to ya!