BCMSN 30th April

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
My 2nd CCNP exam is this week.

Materials used: -

CBT Nuggets - been through these like 3 times now
Cisco Exam Guide 4th Ed - Read through twice for the major stuff, still one or two areas I could do with cleaning up
BCMSN Lab Guide - for all the practical

Lab: -

2 x 2950
2 x 3550
1 x 857W (Not really used to great effect though, I will admit)

Scoring around 86% - 93% on the Cisco Practice Tests which came with the BCMSN Exam Guide.

Fingers crossed, as i'm going on holiday Friday!

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best of luck to you, I'm sure you will do fine. Let us know how you do!
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm feeling a bit weary about it, because I've read widely that the BSCI was the most difficult of the four in the CCNP, and I have already passed that one...

I'm just a bit concerned in case I have underestimated the BCMSN.......
    FWIW, switching has always been one of my weakpoints (at least compared to routing), and I found the BCMSN somewhat challenging, but not as bad as I expected. VOIP/Wireless caught me off guard a little but I managed just fine. I'm sure you will be fine, just have faith in your prep!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, If i were you go over voip/wireless from the cisco docs and chris bryant material if you can. i felt the books were lacking in these area's immensly when compared to the content on the exam.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    VoIP doesn't concern me too much as I look after VoIP at work.

Wireless is one area that does concern me, though.

I don't have any of the Chris Bryant material...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How did you do then mate? hopefully all went well?

Afraid I have to report that I scored 668, and failed.

Oh well.

I have been working far far too hard over the past few months, and I just dont think my heart was in this exam.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow though, so I am going to take time out :)
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Oh well.
    If the ComeBack2009 promotion code works, this was just a very realistic practice test that has successfully identified some areas of weakness you need to work on.... :D
    Better luck next time. You now know where you fell short, study it, and overcome. No big deal :)
    hard lines man, enjoy the holiday and have another crack of the whip when you get back. use the comeback code!

• examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    I failed my BCMSN on April 30th as well! I'm sorry to say I don't feel so bad now.. lol (considering your nice credentials :) )

I scored a 656 and was not ready for it -- gotta get back into things! Good luck to you!
  • sheikhasimsheikhasim Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    guys

i am preparing for my bcmsn exam as well, but have not done any practise on a layer 3 switch yet, mostly been using 2950 and 2600's for redundancy practise etc, how important is it for me to purchase a layer 3 switch? or can i do without it?

please help

asim
    sheikhasim wrote: »
    i am preparing for my bcmsn exam as well, but have not done any practise on a layer 3 switch yet, mostly been using 2950 and 2600's for redundancy practise etc, how important is it for me to purchase a layer 3 switch? or can i do without it?
    answered by your other post....
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/42261-bcmsn-passed.html#post311726
    Well I've been away for two weeks as I've been on holiday.

Looking back at my performance at the exam, I could tell as I was progressing through it that I wasn't going to pass.

However, looking at the comments here, and the score I actually had - I really wasn't that far off it.

Although, while I was away, I had a few epiphanies about my life. Mainly as I got knocked down by a car the second night I was out there, which was a bit of an eye-opening experience.

I was originally hoping to get out of my company by September with a CCNP in my back pocket, but where I am at the moment there is far too much going on to enable me to work at night as well as in the day (or at least with the pace I was trying to work at previously)

So, I will be back to hit the BCMSN, probably end June, early July.

I would like the CCNP to be finished now by the end of 2009, or even 2010. I really don't mind anymore. I make good money, I'm very young, and the way the economy is, it makes more sense to ride it out where I am (I work for a company in healthcare)

So, all is not lost ;)
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Well I've been away for two weeks as I've been on holiday.

Looking back at my performance at the exam, I could tell as I was progressing through it that I wasn't going to pass.

However, looking at the comments here, and the score I actually had - I really wasn't that far off it.

Although, while I was away, I had a few epiphanies about my life. Mainly as I got knocked down by a car the second night I was out there, which was a bit of an eye-opening experience.

I was originally hoping to get out of my company by September with a CCNP in my back pocket, but where I am at the moment there is far too much going on to enable me to work at night as well as in the day (or at least with the pace I was trying to work at previously)

So, I will be back to hit the BCMSN, probably end June, early July.

I would like the CCNP to be finished now by the end of 2009, or even 2010. I really don't mind anymore. I make good money, I'm very young, and the way the economy is, it makes more sense to ride it out where I am (I work for a company in healthcare)

So, all is not lost ;)
    That's a great attitude. You'll get it eventually. icon_wink.gif
    Dave,

Keep ya head up mate! sorry to hear bout the accident. You werent in Italy by any chance were you? there traffic system is mental over there!

The 'NP by 2009/10 is still a very good achievement.

Good luck man. Im sure you will knock the bcmsn down next time.

• NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I got knocked down by a car the second night I was out there...

Sorry about that mate, didn't see you in time to stop

:)

Just kidding of course

Good luck on the retake!
    I got knocked down by a car
    Is the car okay? :D

You may as well get back to the books icon_study.gif since you've proven study is safer than taking a holiday! icon_lol.gif