Options

what is the best method to studying for 290?

MikozeeMikozee Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've been reading around the forums. It seems that 290 is ranked at the BOTTOM of the difficulty scale (from 1- 10).

This comes as a shock to me, seeing as how difficult my class is at school (I'm only in HS).

I figured that at the rate my teacher teaches the class, I'll never be able to learn, or retain, all of the information required for the test. Hence, I'm here asking; What is the best method to self-studying for the 290 exam?

Also, how can I set up Virtual Machine on my computer so I can practice at home?

Comments

• Options
    ibit-mattibit-matt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have not taken the exam so cant help you there but as for virtual machines you can use either vmware or virtual PC

Working On: 70-622 | 70-290 |
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Virtual Box by sun to study for and pass the 70-270 and it makes a world of difference. There are very few things you can't simulate using virtual machines. I'm studying for 290 right now using the MS Press book, Virtual Box and am purchasing the Transcenders/voucher package for 290 soon.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    I actually found 290 hard for myself. THe reason I think that it was hard for me though was because at the time I was new to IT without actual server experience. Another thing about 290 is that it is very broad, a long range of topics it does not specialize any one topic or concept. I passed it by good ole trial and error. I would take the test and fail then would work on the areas I did the weakest on and kept taking it until I passed it. I love second shot!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    ibit-matt wrote: »
    I have not taken the exam so cant help you there but as for virtual machines you can use either vmware or virtual PC
    +1. Getting some hands on practice with settings up servers & monkeying with settings will really go a long way.

I'm using a combo of the MS Press book, Virtual PC install of two servers and one client (Windows 2000), and TestOut software. You can actually pick up TestOut on the cheap as a student...the student discount rate ($89) is aimed at university students I believe, but you may still qualify for the discount as a high schooler. It's definitely worth looking into - you get videos, demonstrations, and simulations to work through, as well as practice questions. Well worth the $89!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have completed Testout and nearly completed the MS Press book, which I am using VMWare to get the hands on approach. Although everything is pretty straight-forward, the wording of the questions tend to be confusing. Often, I know the given subject thoroughly, but find myself confused because of the wording. I am training myself to eliminate the excess information, such as "Johnny is a junior administrator. He has been showing significant improvement lately around the workspace, etc.," but sometimes I still find it difficult to translate to what exactly they are looking for. Either way, I signed up to take the 290 exam and Security+ on May 29th.

I kind of rambled on, but in summary I think the testout and MS Press have certainly covered all of the exam objects in detail.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mikozee wrote: »
    So I've been reading around the forums. It seems that 290 is ranked at the BOTTOM of the difficulty scale (from 1- 10).

This comes as a shock to me, seeing as how difficult my class is at school (I'm only in HS).

I figured that at the rate my teacher teaches the class, I'll never be able to learn, or retain, all of the information required for the test. Hence, I'm here asking; What is the best method to self-studying for the 290 exam?

Also, how can I set up Virtual Machine on my computer so I can practice at home?
    While not really detailed, here is a list of equipment needed for a good self study lab, imo:

1. a good primary book (MS Press is good)
    2. A good secondary book (exam cram is good)
    3. Either 2 physical machines or 2 virtual machines (one for client OS, and one for Server 2003)
    4. Testing software (I prefer transcender myself)

OPTIONAL
    5. CBT videos (CBT nuggets are my personal choice)

that really should get you all the info you need to take this thing head on. As mentioned earlier, its also recommended that you take 70-270 (or another client OS exam) under you belt before taking this one, but its up to you. BEST OF LUCK!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security