Options

Pursuing a SSCP without a CISSP

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I see that most posters in this forum are after the CISSP. However, is anyone just going after the SSCP and not so much concerned with the CISSP? I know it's something most would like to have, but some people want to stop chasing certs after a while (me being one of them). I wanted to know if the SSCP is a good stand-alone cert to have to make a living on (with accompanied experience, of course - which I would still need to get). Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    You can't "make a living" on just a cert--not even the CISSP. It also takes education and experience to make you into what hiring managers are looking for. Every job will have different requirements, and you will want to make yourself as marketable as possible. Have a look on the job boards (dice.com, etc) to see what the jobs of most interest to you are asking for in terms of education, certification, and experience.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    while i agree you cant make a living from a cert you can make your mark with one, in that in my mind and those of ISC the difference in the exams represents the different paths available.

SSCP = practitioner (hands on)
    CISSP = management consultant (hands off)

and looking at jobs imo I'd tend to agree with those definitions.

So after that it's back to experience v certs v career choice v whats flavour of the month v what you want to do
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    So after that it's back to experience v certs v career choice v whats flavour of the month v what you want to do
    Rather than look at this situation using a "black and white" versus point of view, try a "different but complementary" view. You really need all of it to further your career.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going for SSCP.... Got the official book and starting to read..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn