Learning netscreen firewalls?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

We've got a pair of netscreens at work - although they will be getting decomissioned in the near future. Im thinking it may be a good idea to sit down and take a look at the JNCIA-FWV. i think it would be good to get the certs then i would have some "real hands on" otherwise i may not get the chance for a long while again. and i figure it would be good to have at least some (even if pretty basic) firewall skills to have and not just R&S.

Can you use olive for the labbing requirements of this or would i have to buy actual hardware?

Also what kind of materials are available to study for this? Most of the books on amazon are off years back. i thought there maybe recent editions for the exams etc like cisco/m$ etc has?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the cert itself? is it well respected/looked upon etc? useful to have? i dont work with juniper products at all and only touch the firewall once in a while but i thought it may be still useful to have possibly?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So would 2x small netscreen 5GT's or a netscreen 5XP be good enough for the labbing side of things? Also does the exam foxus on the CLI or the GUI? or is it a combo of both?

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi nel,

5GT or 5XP?
    generally config speaking, i think its the same.
    both have their advanced limitation : dont have any VSys, dont have HA (even lite version etc) so be sure to check their product specification before you bring it home :)
    Also does the exam foxus on the CLI or the GUI? or is it a combo of both?

i think for this specific question it would be better to check on juniper's website,
    and like Mr. Scott Morris said,

you study hard on a specific topic,
    which will be tested? the other topics :)

so, i hope you get the point :)

hey, its Mr. Scott Morris - i cant compete with him :LOL: ,
    ask aldur - i think he read that quote too :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi rossonieri,

Thanks for the info. So does Juniper not have any study guides for any of their tracks? from the info i have gathered many people have the cert have relied on their work experiance. So if thats the case how is someone supposed to learn their certs without any kind of structured form if they do not have extensive hands on experiance? seems very strange to me. From the research i have done there seems to be a lack of materials when compared to other companies like MS, cisco and so on.

So what are the minimum hardware specs for the jncia-fwv if the 5gt does not have the correct features?

..it looks like my jncia-fwv hopes are doomed :D

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi nel,
    So does Juniper not have any study guides for any of their tracks? from the info i have gathered many people have the cert have relied on their work experiance.

hahaha, no - they do have great screenos guide books, here are some examples :
    Amazon.com: ScreenOS Cookbook: Stefan Brunner, Vik Davar, Joe Kelly, Ken Draper, David Delcourt, Sunil Wadhwa: Books
    Amazon.com: Configuring Juniper Networks NetScreen & SSG Firewalls: Rob Cameron, Chris Cantrell, Anne Hemni, Lisa Lorenzin: Books

i havent bought them yet, but go take a look inside the books - i think they are good.
    the one i've read was an old juniper netscreen training book from an old friend of mine after he took the course, and of course, the classic juniper netscreen documentations :)
    So what are the minimum hardware specs for the jncia-fwv if the 5gt does not have the correct features?

i think 5gt should be enough for the JNCIA-FWV,
    some advanced topic like vsys, HA etc will be discussed on the JNCIS-FWV track, but i dont know whether the SSG will be included on the exam material (i think so, since the netscreen itself almost on its EOL and will be replaced by the SSG platform, i think).

well, i think your target is not doomed yet,
    the good approach is to give it a shot :)

good luck!!!
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.