Wow thanks MS...

JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
Dont advertise something as running until august if that isnt the case.
We’re sending this mail to remind you that Windows 7 Release candidate is available and to make sure you plan ahead for when the Beta expires on August 1, 2009. On June 1, 2009, the PC you’re using to test the Beta will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will send you a notice a couple of weeks in advance, and that’d be the ideal time to rebuild your test PC with a non-expired version of Windows, such as the RC or Windows Vista. This will be a clean installation, so be ready to reinstall your programs and data. (Learn more about installing Windows.)

Oh well guess its time to install RC.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Those terms were laid out since the beta started...
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    dynamik wrote: »
    Those terms were laid out since the beta started...

Funny, i get tons of newsletters and emails from micrsoft daily and never once noticed that starting in june the beta will shut off every two hours. I dont even see the point of doing that.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Jordus wrote: »
    Funny, i get tons of newsletters and emails from micrsoft daily and never once noticed that starting in june the beta will shut off every two hours. I dont even see the point of doing that.
    They've always had time limits in their prerelease software. You're supposed to be upgrading to a newer test release which in this case is the release candidate. The RC has a shutoff time in 2010.

The 2 hour reboot is to provide a reason to make people upgrade to the RC. If you don't have the time to upgrade then you can still use it. The other option would have been to wait until the final drop dead date for the beta and then get stuck with a Windows 7 install that won't work properly.
    I think you misunderstood me.

I knew it was timebombed, i knew it would expire in august.

I just think its dumb about the 2 hour rebooot thing. Bubble windows or a logon popup would have been sufficient.
    Jordus wrote: »
    I just think its dumb about the 2 hour rebooot thing. Bubble windows or a logon popup would have been sufficient.
    They used to just nag you but people ignored it and then complained because it completely died at its suicide date.
    tiersten wrote: »
    They used to just nag you but people ignored it and then complained because it completely died at its suicide date.

hahahahah that figures. Silly people
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Nothing new here... and I don't really understand the complaining... You are using an OS for free and can upgrade to the RC. Why you wouldnt want to do that anyways is beyond me.
    Dustin Leefers
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    You are using an OS for free and can upgrade to the RC. Why you wouldnt want to do that anyways is beyond me.
    You're not supposed to upgrade from the beta to the RC. The official upgrade path is to wipe it clean and do a new install or reinstall Vista/XP and upgrade to the RC. You can modify some of the install files however and make it accept a beta to RC upgrade but you're on a technically unsupported configuration after that.
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    tiersten wrote: »
    You're not supposed to upgrade from the beta to the RC. The official upgrade path is to wipe it clean and do a new install or reinstall Vista/XP and upgrade to the RC. You can modify some of the install files however and make it accept a beta to RC upgrade but you're on a technically unsupported configuration after that.

by upgrade I didn't mean "upgrade" I NEVER do an upgrade install and always wipe clean, there is no reason not to.
    Dustin Leefers
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    We’re sending this mail to remind you that Windows 7 Release candidate is available and to make sure you plan ahead for when the Beta expires on August 1, 2009. On June 1, 2009, the PC you’re using to test the Beta will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will send you a notice a couple of weeks in advance, and that’d be the ideal time to rebuild your test PC with a non-expired version of Windows, such as the RC or Windows Vista. This will be a clean installation, so be ready to reinstall your programs and data. (Learn more about installing Windows.)

The date in that message is incorrect. The bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on July 1 not June 1.

Clarification on the Date for Bi-hourly Shutdowns for the Windows 7 Beta - Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    by upgrade I didn't mean "upgrade" I NEVER do an upgrade install and always wipe clean, there is no reason not to.

Worked for me though :)

I don't mind upgrading Beta > RC as I expect all sorts of weird stuff to happen anyway.
    I will do a clean install once the RTM is out though..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p