What magazines do you get?

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I try not to do any computing stuff when not at work...but was thinking about getting a technology related magazine. I have PC world but im not terribly pleased with it.

Anyone get any web or photoshop type stuff they would recommend?

Comments

• LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I get Information Week for free and it is pretty good. Other than the occasional Maxim or Playboy, I read everything else online these days.
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    I get Technet and Redmond magazines.

PC World is nothing but a bunch of pitiful apple fanboys now.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not much of a magazine person really, the only one I get that I ever really look at is Technet - probably mostly because I receive it at my work address and read it at work. I've had several various magazine subscriptions to the house but they basically might get glanced through for something interesting and then just sit or get pitched. My wife on the other hand is a magazine nutcase. She gets all of these various magazines when they are either free or dirt cheap, so many she never reads through them in a month so they sit in a stack. I often just pick out random ones and toss them now and then - so frustrating.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try to save paper, printer toner and waste.. Go Green IT : )

Goto BN or Border local store and you will find all the magazine that you need.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    brad- wrote: »
    Anyone get any web or photoshop type stuff they would recommend?

Playboy?
    Good luck to all!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Otherwise known as NAMBLA...
    lmao icon_lol.gif perfect!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brad- wrote: »
    omg @ $99 for 8 issues

It's not just the magazine. You get a membership card too...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Playboy?
    Articles honest!
    I've got an electronic subscription to Circuit Cellar and a paper one for Make Magazine and Linux Journal. I'm thinking of cancelling the Make Magazine subscription though. The first bunch of issues were fairly interesting but its gone downhill fast since then IMO.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've found that all of the subscriptions I've had converted to electronic delivery (or because paper delivery was stopped) I've mostly stopped reading them. I really prefer to have the paper on-demand laying on a table top rather than the PDF or URL shortcut sitting on my computer desktop. E-paper magazines are great for searching, but I just don't read them as much when they're only available on my screen.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I know this is a little off topic, but a friend and I were talking about that the other day. How we both still prefer actual books/magazines to a digital format. For me, this goes for magazines, books I use to study or read for pleasure. There's just something about having a paper copy in my hand that lends itself to reading.

And the only magazine I subscribe to is Rue Morgue. It's a horror magazine out of Canada.
    /usr wrote: »
    There's just something about having a paper copy in my hand that lends itself to reading.
    I do most of my reading in the bathroom anyway. I try not to read as little on the monitor as i can.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At home, I get Maximum PC and Church Production Magazine (I volunteer on the media team at my church, so it's fun to see what the big megachurches do). At work, I get TechNet, Redmond, Information Week and Network World. Oh and I used to get Certification Magazine, but since they went digital only I rarely pay any attention to them.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Guns & Ammo
    Muscle Car Review
    NRA - American Rifleman
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Fashion Weekly
    Cross-hatch sewing pro monthly
    Celeb gossip
    Home improvements

Usual manly stuff you know!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Pash wrote: »
    Fashion Weekly
    Celeb gossip
    Home improvements

lol i just started one to This Old House.

I also get ESPN the Mag & Motorcycle Cruiser.

I thought Maximum PC went out of business...
    Pash wrote: »
    Fashion Weekly
    Celeb gossip
    Home improvements

It's so easy to spot the guys from the UK ;)
  • buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I get Information Week, Windows IT Pro, and I used to get Redmond magazine.
    Windows IT Pro and Redmond mag are pretty good. Information week is more of an industry overview or what is hot at the moment does not get very technical.
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's so easy to spot the guys from the UK ;)
    I don't we can be friends any more. Nobody says bad things about Cross-hatch sewing pro monthly and gets away with it!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to get a lot of the tech magazines, but a lot of them went online and have less content, so I canceled 'em. Its more fun hanging out here...
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I used to get a lot of the tech magazines, but a lot of them went online and have less content, so I canceled 'em.
    That seems to be true of the ones I used to read. Once they go online only, the quality and quantity of articles just drops.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hackin9 - Hardcore security

I try not to buy the magizine but read them at like barnes and noble or something as they are insanely expensive. But they have such good content that sometimes I buy them.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Nation Magazine
    Scientific American
    National Geographic
    various science institute newsletters
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    JD, no ISSA? That's about the only one I get anymore. I think I get the Technet one too, but I never read it. I used to get Windows IT Pro as well, but I felt the articles lacked the depth I was looking for.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    I get Windows IT Pro and sometimes I pickup Linux Format. Then I usually read in store Maximum PC, 2600, or any other tech rag that looks good.

Non-Tech is usually Time Out New York, Savage Tattoo, Men's Health, and sometimes Consumer Reports.