printed or ebook? go green study

rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi guys,

i'm wondering if any of you did a study nor doing some fun calculation nor read about this *go green campaign* somewhere?

a lot of people told us to save papers, to save electricity etc, and i'm trying to relate all these to *our* job/interest in studying certs (for specific).

so printed materials or ebooks? which one will help to save our earth/forest?

i'll go with printed materials,
1. once i have the book, i can read it as many as i can without further using any electricity-related boxes.
2. i think, the cost to produce 1 copy of 500 pages book - much more cheaper compares to one that i have using ebook - *i think*, and only charged 1 time which is the time to make the paper & print the book.
3. printed material can be recycled, electricity cant.

any other idea perhaps?
the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I use both. Printed books are nicer to read long sections. eBooks are nicer for reference material as you can search.

Usually the campaigns to reduce paper usage are for offices. I've not heard of any that wanted you to not read paper books.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I love going green where I can, but I'm an old-fashioned kinda gal when it comes to book. I like the paper kind. It's my study method that makes me feel that way - I prefer to read through and underline and make margin notes, and then go back through to review my underlines/notes & refocus on those things. I know there are ways to do that with digital books, but it's just not the same for me.

I do however love having e-book versions of my printed books - GREAT for quick searches and handy references. I carry a wee little usb stick around with me practically wherever I go, and it's got countless e-books on there and I do reference them often - if I were to carry the physical books with me, I'd have some very serious back problems!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    skrpune wrote: »
    underline and make margin notes
    I must have some librarians in my ancestry because I really don't like writing in books. If it wasn't for the fact that I usually end up bending the book spine or cover, the book would be as good as new after I'm done with it...

Never ever write in a book I loan you ;)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Writing in books drives my crazy! All of mine are in pristine condition (well, I read in the tub and doze off on occasion, so some have other problems...).

I shred my old books and make sweet Papier-mâché hats with them. You can't get any greener than that! alien.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tiersten wrote: »
    I must have some librarians in my ancestry because I really don't like writing in books. If it wasn't for the fact that I usually end up bending the book spine or cover, the book would be as good as new after I'm done with it...

Never ever write in a book I loan you ;)

I prefer books, hands down.

AND I TOO never, ever write in books!!

Tip for dynamik:
    Take care on the water level ;)
    (high enough to stay warm, low enough to save a book from dipping into)

I've come close to losing a couple over the years, but that has to be one of the best reading places I've found.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • BdeadbuddyBdeadbuddy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I usually prefer reading paper book and i just highlight the juiciest part that will serve me for my revision.
    I use the ebook version on my Pocket PC, to more easily read while i commute. I find it's easier to carry and bookmark where your at when at destination.

Both are useful to me, but i still prefer reading through a good ole paper book

Cheers
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I prefer paper for most study, but ebooks for labs and looking up resources. In other words, if I'm studying a specific subject, I prefer a book, but if I'm just skimming over multiple topics digital will do. Also never write in mine, I do take a ton of notes though on a notebook. Usually never go back and read them but writing them helps me remember.

If the cisco press books weren't the same price as the hardback versions on the Amazon kindle..I would buy one.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    If the cisco press books weren't the same price as the hardback versions on the Amazon kindle..I would buy one.
    Nearly all the Cisco Press books I've got have included a PDF of the book on a CD.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pretty much the same here as several others have mentioned.

For actually reading a book for study purposes I prefer print hands down. It's something about holding the book in my hands that really sets me into "book reading" mode. Reading from a book is also easier on my eyes than reading from a computer screen. Aside from the eye strain issue, when reading on a computer screen - it is far too easy to casually navigate away from the PDF and check e-mail quick, or send an IM or two, or just go look something else up that came to mind during reading that isn't really doing to help my studies but just satisfy my desire to know it.

Having said that, I do keep a copy of any PDF books that I get with books or some of the freebies from MS. I much prefer these for using as reference material as it is easier to search for specific terms.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm sticking with paper too until the Kindle DX can work with Safari then I'm never buying another IT textbook. :)

We all can dream right...