Warranty on EBAY Items

Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
I am just curious as to how many people worry about the warranty on the devices they buy off EBAY. I am debating on getting some switches and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get one with a 1 year warranty or if the 30day warranty will be OK?

I know it sounds like a Duh answer but with some of the Cisco routers and switches they are usually built well enough that it may or may not be something I need to worry about.

Any advice?
Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Comments

• miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    I am just curious as to how many people worry about the warranty on the devices they buy off EBAY. I am debating on getting some switches and I'm trying to figure out if I need to get one with a 1 year warranty or if the 30day warranty will be OK?

I know it sounds like a Duh answer but with some of the Cisco routers and switches they are usually built well enough that it may or may not be something I need to worry about.

Any advice?

I depends on the cost of the item I am purchasing. When I purchased my 3550 switches, I wanted to ensure they would be covered for a year.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    miller811 wrote: »
    I depends on the cost of the item I am purchasing. When I purchased my 3550 switches, I wanted to ensure they would be covered for a year.

That's where I'm weighing my options. I was going to buy 2 2950G's and 1 more 3550 for my switching lab. But then I started thinking about just doing all 3550's. I found a couple for $180 but they only have a 30day warranty but the ones with a one year warranty are $215.

I'm just trying to watch out before I make another bad decision about a piece of equipment.

Right now I have $500 to spend on part of my lab so I'm definitely trying to get the best deal for my money.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's the likelihood of something going bad with these? More than likely it will involve the moving parts, which are only the fans, right? Personally, I'm ok as long as they guarantee it not to be DOA. 7-30 days are more than sufficient for me.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You get a warranty on devices you buy on eBay? o.O

I thought it was basically if its not DOA and it survives a week then you're on your own after that...
    Well after going through different items for the better part of 2 days I ended up with a good deal.

2650XM with fully loaded memory for $95+free shipping and a 1 year warranty! I bought 4 of them plus a Skeletek Rack to get my equipment off my table. Looking through the threads It seems that a lot of people were paying $125 per 2650mx so I think I made out pretty good :)
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
    2650XM with fully loaded memory for $95+free shipping and a 1 year warranty!
    256MB or 128MB? If you want to run 12.4T then you'll need the upgraded ROMMON and 256MB.
    they are all 256/48
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
    they are all 256/48
    Nice one. You're all set then with those 2650XMs.