Scheduled my MPLS exam...June 2nd

liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well almost through the MPLS fundamentals book and slowly working my way through vol I of the IE SP workbook.

I have also been doing some design/testing of Vrf-lite at work, I might use it to isolate our SAN replication (FCIP) traffic...seems like a good way to simplify the routing needed for failover etc without having to worry about adversely affecting the rest of the network traffic.

So wish me luck on the study! Hoping to read the rest of the fundamentals book and probably skim through the MLPS and VPN Architecture books, and get through the relevant labs in the Vol I workbook before the exam.

liquid
blog.insomniacnetwork.com

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck! I look forward to your review and how your study material compared to the exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lots of time before your exam.... but I'll wish you Good Luck now in case we don't hear from you again before the exam -- since I know how much fun you'll be having between now and then :D

Keep an eye on the exam blueprint so that you don't drift off the topics you need to learn for the exam and into a whole bunch of "other stuff" -- unless you need that other stuff for work.

I went through both MPLS and VPN Architecture volumes when I did the exam, but only because I wasn't sure until after I read all the stuff whether I needed to know it or not. MPLS Fundamentals covers a lot of what you need and will help you figure out what parts of MPLS and VPN Architecture you should read.

The Cisco Press MPLS Configuration on Cisco IOS Software book could also be useful. I only noticed that book after I had my CCIP icon_sad.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • AntonySilvesterAntonySilvester Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ,
    Can any1 help me out in providing Q&A for MPLS CCIP. i am appearing for this exam.

Thanks in advance
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ,
    Can any1 help me out in providing Q&A for MPLS CCIP. i am appearing for this exam.

Thanks in advance

Erm...no.

Use transcender or something like everyone else: Cisco 642-611 Practice Exam - Transcender Certification Training Products
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well crunch time...one week left. I am a little behind where I want to be but a full schedule at work and 10 days in Spain didn't do much for my studying.

I have completed 6 of the 12 labs that I had set out to do. I have read MPLS fundamentals and Implementing MPLS vol. I, so I would still like to finish vol. II.

My new Mac Pro is really working out nicely, running 11 routers, a windows 7 vm, a windows vista vm, and testing out the new vSphere it was only hitting 30 percent cpu utilization!!

I have found that running dynagen inside mac os x natively just doesn't feel right so I am running dynagen inside the vista vm which is working perfectly.

Wish me luck on the final push, I have two days off work so I should be able to finish everything that I need to.

liquid
    well passed MPLS!
    That was definitely the hardest exam I have taken so far. The simulations are definitely coming along, not quite dynamips but definitely challenging. Although really pissed about one topic that I have an unusually high amount of questions on, Traffic Engineering?!?!?! From everything I read, the exam objectives, syllabus, and the study guide there was no mention of anything even relating to Traffic Engineering.

Other than that it was a very fair exam.

Next onto BGP...maybe mid July.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    liquid6 wrote: »
    well passed MPLS!
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

The "quality" of the SIMs on both the BGP and MPLS exam were great. They were a real test of skills learned studying for the exam, not just a simple command typing exercise like most of the SIMs on all the other exams.
    liquid6 wrote: »
    Although really pissed about one topic that I have an unusually high amount of questions on, Traffic Engineering?!?!?! From everything I read, the exam objectives, syllabus, and the study guide there was no mention of anything even relating to Traffic Engineering.

Probably just luck of the draw on the questions..... They mention Traffic Engineering in the Exam Description, but not in the topics.
    The exam will certify that the successful candidate has knowledge and skills necessary to gather information from the technology basics to some of the more updated features and functions such as Traffic Engineering, Fast Reroute and any Transport over MPLS (AToM).

When I did the MPLS exam I erred on the side of caution and read the Cisco Press MPLS Traffic Engineering book and the QoS for IP/MPLS Networks books. But it turned out I didn't need either -- back in the Old Days. Anything TE related that I needed to know was covered in the MPLS and VPN Archtectures volumes.

I guess that means any of those "updated features" mentioned in the Exam Description of the exam blueprint are fair game on the current exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Yeah i really thought that the exam was a good indicator of how well you knew the material, which was a nice change. I must've skipped the Exam Description, where it mentions- Traffic Engineering, Fast Reroute and any Transport over MPLS (AToM). I think I was just focusing on the Exam Topics...shame on me.

Looking forward to BGP!
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    congrats. I just got IE SP COD and looking forward to learning MPLS
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats liquid :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.