Options

MCDST: How Long Did It take you to get this

aeroguyaeroguy Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just curious how long it took other members to get their MCDST, i will be doing this once i finish 70-270, also i am not sure if I should MCDST first or 70-620, what do you guys suggest?

Comments

• Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    I earned my Net+ in mid October last year and by mid-November I had passed both the 70-271 & 70-272. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    took me just a little over a month. I could have done it quicker if test dates allowed me. Im aiming for MCSA in November. Need to book my 290 now! :D
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Would MCDST help you in your current job? If not I would say hit the 620. If you work in a support role in a primarily XP/Office 2003 environment, go for the MCDST. If you work in an environment with some Vista and primarily Office 2007, go for 620 and MCITP:Enterprise Support.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It took me about 3 weeks to do it.
  • Options
    cris911511cris911511 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    aeroguy wrote: »
    Just curious how long it took other members to get their MCDST, i will be doing this once i finish 70-270, also i am not sure if I should MCDST first or 70-620, what do you guys suggest?

After finishing my 70-270 I hit my MCDST (271-272) two weeks later.
    Cert Exams:

70-270: Passed with 747 on 5/04/2009
    70-271: Passed with 916 on 5/11/2009
    70-272: Passed with 953 on 5/19/2009
  • Options
    gandalphgpgandalphgp Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had a lot of previous experience and also MCSE when my work wanted me to do this exam so it took me 5 days for both 271 and 272
  • Options
    shaheryarshahidshaheryarshahid Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im new in IT and starting off with MCDST. i dun knw if i have made a right choice or not. i have got some IT background but i dont knw if its sufficient for exam pint of view.
    Also can anyone suggest how to prepare for 271 & 272 im using Microsoft self paced training kit at the moment.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    im new in IT and starting off with MCDST. i dun knw if i have made a right choice or not. i have got some IT background but i dont knw if its sufficient for exam pint of view.
    Also can anyone suggest how to prepare for 271 & 272 im using Microsoft self paced training kit at the moment.

I started with the 70-271 as well. It's a good place to start. Do you know how to use Virtual PC or VMware?

My suggestion for this is as follows:
    1. Read the entire book and use Virtual PC to help you do the labs. Use other resources like the web and especially TechNet to help you understand things you may not get enough information about. While you are doing this do a little bit of supplemental study on topics from Network+ and A+.
    2. Once you feel fore confident about your knowledge, begin by taking one of the MeasureUp exams from the CD that came with your book. Take the exam quickly. Do not answer any questions you do not immediately know the answers for. This should only take about 30 minutes. Once completed print every single question you got wrong.
    3. Study every single question you got wrong and use Virtual PC to help you turn it into a lab, if you can. Repeat this until you are easily scoring in the 90s. You must do as many minilabs and research as possible in this phase or you are just memorizing. That's not the point.
    4. Buy the test prep software from either Transcender or SelfTest Software. Take a test as if it were the actual exam. Go slow and do your best.
    5. After this if you are getting a score 85 or up, take your exam. If not print your questions as you did before and do more labs and more review. Continue to research and study the topics you are doing worst in until they improve. Once you start scoring in the 85+ range you should be ready for the test.
  • Options
    mulcahydmulcahyd Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it took me about 2.5 weeks to obtain it.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ComputerLover1ComputerLover1 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Reading over the posts I thought that it would take me longer maybe 3-6 months to pass these exams but you guys have inspired me to work that much harder . I am currently a Tier1 helpdesk analyst and answering phones is not what I desire to do but I have been in this role for a year now and I am ready to take the plunge of my life .
    To prepare I purchased the exam cram 2 and the MCDST Training kit , have taken several classes on the MCDST and will be praticing the labs with the Measure up CD and various test engines .

What will be the best test engine that I can purchase to assist me as I want to know the material not memorize it .

Congrads to all of you who have passed it shows me that there is hope after all . Any tips for both of the exams such as what questions if any were on the test that were not included in your studies such as what versions of Office and IE that I should prepare for . I am studying for the 272 exam .

Thank you
    Without struggles there can not be progress
  • Options
    rumibabarumibaba Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had no idea what is MCDST is, and how easy it is...after completing my Network+ during summer...i have been studying for 70-270...which is similar to MCDST..but in depth..just download the PDF version last nite, and start studying it...gonna take it in by 2 week hopefully :)
    Network+, A+
    Near future: MCSA
    Working on: 70-270
  • Options
    ComputerLover1ComputerLover1 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck to us both
    Without struggles there can not be progress