Options

How much harder is CCENT than Net+

BahshayBahshay Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am studying for Net+ over the course of my summer break from school. CCENT is likely my next step, and the objectives seem actually pretty similar in that they focus on the basics of networking. I realize I need to learn about Cisco routers specifically, but how much more is there to learn after Net+ for CCENT? How much harder will it be?

Also, I simply do not have the money to purchase Cisco equipment at the moment. I know its a good idea to have the equipment for the CCNA, but is it possible to get through CCENT with just a simulator?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCENT and CCNA are possible with just a simulator.

The biggest difference is that the CCENT and CCNA focus more on routing protocols and a LOT of subnetting (know that inside and out). With a background of Net+, you have the basics, but now you get into the heavy stuff. I'm studying for the CCNA single test right now, and there is quite a bit more to it than the Net+ stuff. Yes, it's more Cisco specific, but it is also more in depth as far as the networking concepts are. Net+ goes into some of the OS's, where the CCENT is all hardware, wiring and Cisco IOS. No Windows, Linux, Netware, etc... I would say that 99% of it CCNA and CCENT) is based on the lower 3 layers of the OSI model.

I'm sure someone else with more experience than I will chime in, too. But, from all the studying I've done, that's pretty much been what I've seen and come across. And that question has come up quite a bit in various forums and IRC discussions.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    PC509 wrote: »
    CCENT and CCNA are possible with just a simulator.

This should be qualified a bit. . . most good commercial simulators are a little pricey (the cheapest currently probably being Cisco's $70 package).

The use of Dynamips and the available GUI interface assume you have the IOS.

That all being said. . .

Having hands-on access to real equipment gives you a good mental framework to operate from-- you know what it is you're actually supposed to be training to work on, and it puts you in the mindset of an actual troubleshooting or implementation situation much like you will encounter in a test environment.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

If you are very new to IT as a whole then the Network+ is a very good entry level exam to take. I think the CCENT exam would be a lot more difficult for someone to pass on study alone.

I recently went on a CCENT training course and the first day covered the basic network concepts which would be covered in the Network+. However the rest of the week is more involved and I believe it would be more difficult for a newby in IT to understand. I'm not saying it is not acheiveable but I think a lot more effort would be required. If you have worked in an IT role for a few years and have had exposure to Cisco kit and done some basic networking then this will really help.

My advice would be to get as much hands on experience as possible. The exam is more difficult becuase the time limit is shorter and there are lots of simulations that require you to have hands on experience. I passed the exam last Friday and I found it very tough in comparison to the the Network+ and some of the Microsoft exams I have take but if you really put the work in then you can achieve it.

Good luck
  • Options
    NvermindNvermind Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "hard" is relative. In terms of content I would say the CCENT is more in depth. In terms of the exam I found the CCENT about a 7/10.
    Leave the monkies alone! They've got problems enough as it is!
  • Options
    NvermindNvermind Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh wait - you said "HARDER than Net+"..

forget what I said. :D never done net+ and as i've done CCENT I never will.

Maybe thats an answer in itself?
    Leave the monkies alone! They've got problems enough as it is!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nvermind wrote: »
    "HARDER than Net+"..

That's what your mom said last night! :D
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    That's what your mom said last night! :D

Best response in the thread!

But seriously, thanks for the insight all. I'm still in college and i'm going to try to knock out another cert or two during my senior year. Kind of debating between CCENT or a Microsoft cert (270 possibly). I was leaning towards CCENT, but with no income it might be a little tough to get the study tools I need. Perhaps i'll save it till after I get my first job.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    There are some good posts here--hands-on experience, etc.

I have taken both exams and difficulty is not really the greatest issue.

Network+ is not vendor specific. You learn a lot about network protocols and command line entries for exploring and troubleshooting a network for windows and linux. You learn about cabling--classes and network topologies. Learn about ports and and subnetting.

CCENT/CCNA really emphasizes the command line for "cisco-speak" networking, along with more advanced subnetting, and heavy emphasis on network security and disaster recovery.

Network+ could even influence someone towards a career in telecom. Don't believe Cisco would affect someone that way.

Difficulty for Cisco exams lies in the concern of Cisco for assuring that there are enough well-trained technicians out there to care for all of their devices. They need this, because they want to sell new devices and IOS upgrades--cisco is a money-making company, and managment wants them to stay in business! So, naturally, their exams will be designed for difficulty.

CompTIA is an organization that was formed to assure that there is an organization that can process potential IT technician candidates and assure by examination that those techs have knowledge and skills in IT that come up to CompTIA's standard of expectations. Yes, Network+ is also disigned for difficulty, otherwise human resource departments are not going to give them much credence, and there will soon be no more CompTIA!

So, you have to judge "hard" as relative to the exam vendor, and not exam vs exam.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your studies!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCENT doesn't need much in terms of hardware; it's still mostly general networking theory. ICND2 is where you really start to delve into the Cisco-centric stuff. As far as ICND1 goes, you could get by with a pair of 2501s (which cost dirt) and a 2950. Be careful though, building labs can be addictive and get out of hand quickly ;)
  • Options
    As far as ICND1 goes, you could get by with a pair of 2501s (which cost dirt) and a 2950.

I'm in college, nothing costs dirt ;)
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I think CCENT was "easier" in the sense that it was very straight forward. If you know and study the objectives and practice the commands, you will pass. Network+ was not difficult, but some of the challenge in any CompTIA test comes from the often ambiguous and poorly worded questions and answers.

Unless you need Network+ for some reason, it might be smart to head straight for the CCENT.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Be careful though, building labs can be addictive and get out of hand quickly ;)

I have to agree with you there. Wow. It is addictive. But extremely fun. At first I thought it would be a chore to study up on Cisco. I actually really enjoy it and love doing things with my lab. Not that kind of things dynamik... I know it was coming...
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Be careful though, building labs can be addictive and get out of hand quickly ;)

I know this first hand. I've put in over 4k into my Juniper lab and plan on building it more with Cisco gear when I start studying that path. You'll sink tons time and money into your lab, cuss at it when it's not working but you'll be so happy to buy more gear for it.

It's kinda like having a hot girlfriend who can be a b*tch. She's fun to be around but some times you want to take a hammer to her when she's misbehaving.... The networking gear of course not the girl ;)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Unless you need Network+ for some reason, it might be smart to head straight for the CCENT.

On this point, I'd have to disagree.

I actually see more outfits advertising for Network+ holders than I do for CCENT currently. The Net+ is still a popular cert, even though some might debate its merits. My reason for encouraging folks to take both is that the CCENT nicely builds on and reinforces the Network+ foundations while giving folks exposure to the world of Cisco. I think it would add polish to the skillset at that level and give a leg up toward additional LAN/WAN skillsets later if appropriate.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the CCENT test (ICND1) to be harder than Network+, but it would be even harder if you did not have the networking foundation that comes with being Network+ certified. Network+ is more general networking whereas CCENT is more Cisco-centric. You must master subnetting and be able to do it quickly and accurately. I used subnettingquestions.com to help me study. I do not have a lab yet, but borrowed an old switch from my boss to practice with and used Packet Tracer for my simulator. I took every practice test I could find, but mostly used the Boson test that comes with the Cisco Press ICND1 book. If you can pass that test, the actual test should be no problem. Good luck on the exam!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+