Advice on this lab kit

shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
Hello, I've been looking, and looking at lab kits and I'm still not sure what is a good deal. I've read alot of posts on this site and I think I found a couple of good kits but still would like your advice.

Here is a couple of links to ebay where the sellers are selling kits. Please let me know if the price and equipment is good. Also, I would like to get a kit that would take me up to CCNP. If these kits will not do it please let me know what other equipment I would need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28033&item=5740058579&rd=1

...and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73321&item=5739157261&rd=1

The above kit also offers the lastest IOS and a 5 port hub. Do I need that hub? Also, will it be hard to get the latest IOS and install it since this is used equipment?

I'm in the Cisco Academy and I'm starting semester 2 in Jan. any and all advice would be helpful.

Thanks again

Comments

• hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    These are generally the types of equipment that I understand that one would need for CCNA studies. I am getting ready to look at doing the same. I have several aquaintances that have purchased kits from the Chipset technologies guy and have been quite impressed with it. Basically it just boils down to how much money you are willing to put into this. You "may" be able to get the same thing cheaper by obtaining all the pieces seperately. I am not sure what all is needed for the CCNP though.
  • XCommandXCommand Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First link is much more better.
    Why?

-Cheaper
    -more routers
    -higher model switch

This lab is pretty enough till CCNP.You don't need any hub for any Cisco cert.
    But after CCNP you'll need another switch,more routers and a terminal server.

just my 2 cents
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The seconds is actually much better (and faster), but I would not recommend any of these. The first is actually quite old, the IOS version are too old and the 250x routers only have 2 MB flash (basically means IOS 12 won't fit on it), these are actually the first type of 2500 routers. I have the same set without the 2503 for less than $125...

The second is way too expensive, partly because of the hub (which indeed you don't need for the CCNA exam). Should be $350- $400 max.

My advice is to buy two 2501 routers and a 1912 or 1924 switch (separate if you have to). If you buy those individually you should be able to get a CCNA lab for less than $300 including serial back-to-back cable and ethernet transceivers.
    First one + boot rom + dram = solution

You can find drams for 2500 series and boot roms cheap in ebay.
    Of course you can upgrade, but not a good solution considering the first package isn't cheap by itself and the flash and ram for two routers is about the same price as one 2500 router with sufficient memory and IOS 12. Your much better (cheaper) off when you buy something you don't have to upgrade.
    Ok,I give up :) You are right :)
    icon_lol.gif Well, I wasn't aiming to be 'right' or even start or participate in a 'discussion' with you about this. But as hundreds will read this topic, I'm just giving the same advice as usual. Which isn't buying a 2501 with 2 MB flash and IOS 10.x for three times the fair price. ;) If you already own one of these, it would definitely be worth upgrading to 16/16 ('if' you have IOS 12...).
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3X 2503's with max flash, memory, and a variety of IOS.

c2500-is-l.122-15.T9
    c2500-jk8os-l.122-1d
    c2500-ix-l.122-21a

3X AUI tranceivers
    3X DB60 HD 3 foot back-to-back cables

1X 1924-EN with enterprise IOS and two 100 megabit nonblocking trunks ports.

c1900-EN.9.00.05

Would you pay 400 dollars for this? (Shipping included) I may put them on Ebay, but I want to know what people would pay without thinking they are over paying.
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Webmaster wrote:
    My advice is to buy two 2501 routers and a 1912 or 1924 switch (separate if you have to). If you buy those individually you should be able to get a CCNA lab for less than $300 including serial back-to-back cable and ethernet transceivers.

Thank you but I still need help with this. If I were to buy two 2501 routers what version and memory do I look for? The same with the switch. I'm new to this and I don't want to buy something that is not good for me. Also, if I'm going to do this what are the exact cables I would need for 2 2501 and the switch?

Thanks and sorry again for the questions.
    For 2 x 2501,you need 16mb flash ram and 16 mb dram.These are maximum you can use.So with these memories you won't have problem installing any IOS for 2501.

You need a back-to-back cable between these routers.Check the site,there's a tutorial from Webmaster which explains evertything clearly with photos.

For switch also look for the maximum memories.

Pay once(maybe a bit higher) but then feel comfortable.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    you dont need to go all out 16mb 16mb straight away if you cant afford it IOS 11 will cover almost everything and is still ideal. So CCNA theres no need to have version 12.3 with Firewall, IPPLUS, IDS etc!
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
    wildfire wrote:
    you dont need to go all out 16mb 16mb straight away if you cant afford it IOS 11 will cover almost everything and is still ideal. So CCNA theres no need to have version 12.3 with Firewall, IPPLUS, IDS etc!

So, if I started out with IOS 11.x where would I be able to get the current version of the IOS when I wanted to upgrade? Would I have to pay Cisco for it or is it available free to download??

Thanks
    I've seen an IOS 12.x being offered on ebay for $70 once, but you'd be better of buying a used router with 12.x then buying the IOS from cisco. So, no it's not free. If you buy one with 11 and one with 12 you can copy the 12 to the one with the 11, which isn't legal...

But Wildfire is right, a 25xx with IOS 11 is still good practice. Although the current exams are based on 12.x, I'm not even sure the difference is noticable for someone studying the regular CCNA commands/topics.
    And indeed you don't 'need' 16/16, but the set at ebay, you've sent me by PM, is not a very bad deal. I've seen better, but it's not bad. Unless you have an ISDN sim you won't be able to do much with the ISDN connections though.
    Webmaster wrote:
    Unless you have an ISDN sim you won't be able to do much with the ISDN connections though.

Ok, last questions on this topic I promise. I'm almost out of this cloud of confusion. icon_lol.gif

For the CCNA exam will I need to do labs on ISDN and frame relay? I know the 2503 has a ISDN BRI port. From what I read I will need a ISDN sim to go along with the router to do the labs? Also, will I need to do alot of frame relay labs. Because from what I read I will need the 2520 router to do frame relay labs. If I could just get these issues covered I will finally be able to order what I need. :D Thanks again to everyone that answered.
    There is a way to practice most of the for the CCNA required frame relay commands on pretty much any two routers connected back-to-back. There's a topic about that in the forums here, but also an article at cisco.com. A ISDN sim is more expensive than the two routers, so unless you want to continue with the CCNP track, you probably don't want that one just to practice the ISDN commands. Perhaps Wildfire can tell you more about the price of an ISDN sim though. Regardless, don't expect to be able to practice everything related to the exam. But the 2500 series are the most common for CCNA labs as the difference with a more complete and up to date lab (for example two 2600 routers and a 2950 switch) is a huge difference in price.

Ask as much as you need, that's what the forums are for, and I'm sure many others have the same or similar questions. You might want to read this, long, thread also:
    www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    This is good discussion. It is helping me clear my mind for what I need.

Thanks guys!
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Perhaps Wildfire can tell you more about the price of an ISDN sim though

Prices vary depending on the functionality a fully working al singing all dancing model will cost $1000'a of dollars however there are some basic ISDN simulators with 4 ST and 2 bus on ebay for around $180. I would say that its not worth the investment unless you plan to go for the CCNP, even if you do I would wait untill you are at that stage of your study.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.