2801 or 1760

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi ,
Jeremy in CCNA Voice CBTNuggets Video he mentioned the cheaper router we can started with it in CCNA VoIP Lab is 2801-Router, but what about 1760-Router is not support VoIP and cheaper that 2801.

BR.
Auos.

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    The 1760 is much cheaper and will do all you need for the exam. Though, if you can afford the 2801, go for it. It can do a lot for future studies.
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    The 1760 will not do gatekeeper, CUCME 7 and is a pain when trying to do multiple T1's. If you just need a basic voice router it will be fine.
  • auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Great Thanks for your kind comments.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    +1 for the 1760 – You can do plenty on them and they support the first gen VIC cards which are also way cheaper than the newer VIC2s. Just expect them to take a little while to boot :)

BUT...If work is paying, and or you get not-for-resale demo pricing then by all means go with the 2801 or 2811!!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • rodan07rodan07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    +1 for the 1760 – You can do plenty on them and they support the first gen VIC cards which are also way cheaper than the newer VIC2s. Just expect them to take a little while to boot :)

BUT...If work is paying, and or you get not-for-resale demo pricing then by all means go with the 2801 or 2811!!

I've got a 3640 - would that run Call Manager 4.0?

R
    Roy Verges, CCNA
    Working on CCNA Voice & MCSA.
    Hoping for time to exercise and play music (dream on...)
  • luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    rodan07 wrote: »
    I've got a 3640 - would that run Call Manager 4.0?

R

Yes you can. Download and install a voice-capable IOS for the router (IP voice, for example) and you can run CME (CallManager Express) 4.1. According to this link, you will be able to get away with 12.4(11)T. Provided that you are studying for the 640-460 exam, you only need to know CME, not CM
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    ...and this is why I don't yet do VoIP deployments :P Thanks for clearing that up Mike and sorry rodan07 :).
    luke_bibby wrote: »
    ...and this is why I don't yet do VoIP deployments :P Thanks for clearing that up Mike and sorry rodan07 :).

That's alright. A 1760 isn't all that expensive. Man, there's a lot to research about setting up these VOIP labs!

R
    Roy Verges, CCNA
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    rodan07 wrote: »
    That's alright. A 1760 isn't all that expensive. Man, there's a lot to research about setting up these VOIP labs!
    Yeah. Setting up a voice lab that doesn't involve calling Cisco and just asking for the latest/greatest in everything means you have to work out a lot. There is a very small intersection within the list of routers you have available, type of VWIC cards you've got, version of IOS you've got, whether you need a NM or not, whether or not you need DSPs and if so what type you need, what version of CME will run and whether you've got enough memory or flash to even run it...
    I don't know what I'd do without this forum. I don't think the Cisco CCNAV book would help me build a lab at all.

I've got a 2650XM w/CM4.1, a 1760 with the same, two 7940 phones w/power bricks, all in transit to my home. Should be fun. Just need interfaces.

Thanks guys,
    R
    Roy Verges, CCNA