Options

Funky issue with IIS during one of my exercises

poguepogue Member Posts: 213
I have a user that SHOULD have access to a web page, but cannot connect. The web page is configured for Integrated Windows Authentication..

Simple enough so far.

His UN/PW combo does not work, and after three tries, it kicks him to an error page, saying that the account cannot connect because of the IIS server configuration.

I check the the NTFS permissions on the folder and file the account is connecting to, and he is a member of a group that is explicitly denied full control. Cool.. I got this.

I take him out of the group. Still does not work.

I compare his group memberships to another user that can currently access the page. THis account has same memberships now.

I explicitly give him read access.. Still no workie.

I check the effective permissions..Says he has read/execute access on this file and folder..

I scratch my head a while.

I COPY his account. New account works fine.

HUH???

The way I see it, only an explicit deny on the folder or file will exhibit this symptom, but I already checked the effective permissions, and I checked to make sure there was no share permissions interfering.

I change the account password.. Works fine now. I change it back...Still works fine.

Am I missing something here? Or did the SID get jacked, and something in it got "fixed" when I reset the password?

I am so cornfused.

Russ
Currently working on: CCNA:Security
Up next: CCNA:Voice

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did his account get locked out by chance? I'm not sure if resetting his password would unlock it; maybe the lockout duration expired around the same time you did that.
  • Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    dynamik wrote: »
    Did his account get locked out by chance? I'm not sure if resetting his password would unlock it; maybe the lockout duration expired around the same time you did that.

Ayup..I think it was that..Thanks...

Uggghhh..I really am rusty.

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice