Having a happy geek moment.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm so geeked out right now that I think my wife wants to push me down the stairs :D

Finally got all of the pieces together for my car PC setup consisting of an Intel mini-itx LGA775 mobo, E8400, 3gb ram, 250gb hdd, 7" touchscreen LCD.

Using Centrafuse as the frontend:
Centrafuse | Screenshots

Supporting hardware includes a bluetooth adapter to utilize my BB Storm as a modem on Verizon's EVDO network. Also running an Alfa Networks (fairly high power) 802.11n adapter with a 7db roof mounted antenna in case I happen to be near a free public wifi source where Verizon isn't working well as well as to sync music and other data through my home LAN. There is a 2nd 802.11g adapter running as an AP so my notebook and/or Ipod can utilize the Verizon EVDO if needed. GPS adapter for navigation and an ODBII to USB adapter for checking out data on my car if I need.

No pic's, I'm a bit ashamed of some of the wiring currently since a few things need to be lengthened and concealed still but I'll be sure to post some once it's finished. Also going to have to get around to building a dash pod for the LCD out of fiberglass or carbon fiber. Currently it sits under a flip up pocket on my dash for storage which works but is much easier to smash and grab if a thief noticed it. I think I'll wait a couple weeks for building the pod though, I inhaled enough toxic fumes this month from reworking/welding the plastic on the mini-itx case I used :D

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Wow, sounds very cool! You'll definitely have to post some pics...or just bring the car along to the get together for show & tell...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Sweet. Can't wait to see your pics!
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    sounds cool!!, what car have u put it in
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    OK, I'll admit. I'm jealous.

....there, I said it.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow, that's AWESOME. I'm super jealous!

must..do..this....icon_lol.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seriously, like I needed more ideas for ways to sink money into tech toys...
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Awesome. When are you making one for me? icon_lol.gif
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wait, what about the USB GPS reciever and software?
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    Wait, what about the USB GPS reciever and software?

There are a lot of USB GPS receivers available, I went with this one since it was inexpensive and known to work well with the frontend I am using (that provides the navigation capability via software as well):

Gosget BU-358 SiRF III USB GPS Receiver - Cable / USB GPS Receiver

Then I used Centrafuse for the frontend which ties together all of the various items I can use on there (music, ipod control, navigation, e-mail, touchscreen friendly web browser, etc). There are open source alternatives to Centrafuse, but they were having a good deal on the software and it's all tied together instead of hacking a bunch of stuff together so I just broke down and bought that instead.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Seriously, like I needed more ideas for ways to sink money into tech toys...

Did I mention you could install VMWare on it and work on labs anywhere? :D
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Sounds interesting.

Werent you taking the 70-640 this week? How did it go?
    Jordus wrote: »
    Sounds interesting.

Werent you taking the 70-640 this week? How did it go?

I pushed it back until the 10th of June. Wasn't able to fit in as much study as I would like before my last round of classes kicked in again, and I had a new rack and dozen servers to wire and configure drop on me in May as well. Rather than overwork it I thought it would be best to delay.