Cisco 2600 Router Problem.. help!!

mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all!

I am a complete noob to the land of cisco stuff, i started learning a year or two back, but decided to continue my MS track first.

Today, I have got round to plugging in my cisco 2600 series router, powered it on, and attempted to connect to it via hyperterminal and a console cable.

I had no idea what state it would be in, or what i had configured it to do when i last used it.

For some reason, when i select com1, 9600 baud rate and the other usuals, it doesnt seem to accept keystrokes. I need to 'factory reset' the thing so i can start the configuration process again.

Please could someone guide me on how to get started again via the console cable? I'm sure i have the correct settings to connect it with:
None
None

Thanks in advance

Comments

• djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Are you connecting via serial port on your PC? Or is it serial-usb adapter. I think you use COM3 or 4 when using your USB port.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi
    thanks for the quick reply, i am using the standard blue console cable, connecting it to com1 serial port on laptop. com1 is all i have available in hyperterminal.

Thanks
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When using Hyperterminal to connect to the router, are you able to see the boot process?
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
    Hi,

Unfortunately not. This is what I hoped to see so not sure where to go from here.

The activity light just flashes every second. I hope it's not toast!!

Thanks
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    Hi,

Unfortunately not. This is what I hoped to see so not sure where to go from here.

The activity light just flashes every second. I hope it's not toast!!

Thanks

mrmcmint,

Are you sure you plugged in the console cable into the Console port of the router and NOT the Aux port and NOT the Ethernet/FastEthernet port?
  • poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    The console cable is not damaged after having been stored for a while, is it?

If not, then step through all of the baud rates, rebooting the power on your router after every change. Hopefully with one of them, you'll start seeing the boot process.

Sometimes when messing around with the config-register setting, the baud rate can get changed.

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
    Thanks for your help again guys - once again this website helps me out with another issue.

Pogue - i did as you suggested and went through all the baud rates and found one that worked! its now booted to rommon>

Time to get it config'd up again!

Thanks again.