Options

How to get work overseas?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I currently live in Australia and would like to work abroad, obviously not the right ecomonic climate but maybe in a year or two when I have more certs.

Anyone know who to contact for int'l IT work? Also what qualifications I would need to be considered (don't have a degree). Will have MCSE at end of year.

My wife is Japanese so would like to move to Japan, heard I can get employment with American companies there. Or am I dreaming and about to faceplant into reality. icon_razz.gif

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I currently live in Australia and would like to work abroad, obviously not the right ecomonic climate but maybe in a year or two when I have more certs.

Anyone know who to contact for int'l IT work? Also what qualifications I would need to be considered (don't have a degree). Will have MCSE at end of year.

My wife is Japanese so would like to move to Japan, heard I can get employment with American companies there. Or am I dreaming and about to faceplant into reality.
    Are you both under 35 years old? If so most commonwealth countries have a "youth mobility" (or whatever they call it) visa option for citizens of other commonwealth nations. They usually allow you to work in the country for a year or two, they're also super easy to apply/qualify for and dirt cheap. :)

I know as a Canadian we have reciprocal agreements with ~40 other countries.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Are you both under 35 years old? .

Hmm, wife has hit 35. Would love to see Canada though. Where do you make enquiries for that info?
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Hmm, wife has hit 35. Would love to see Canada though. Where do you make enquiries for that info?
    International Youth Programs

I'm not sure if Australia has similar programs (aside from the one I know they belong to with Canada, New Zealand and the UK). The problem is your wife is above the age and you are not allowed to have dependents (you would both have to apply individually and she would be denied). You'll have to look into other visa options with each country individually.

Your best option for doing that would be calling the local embassy/consulate for the countries you are interested and just asking them upfront about what their visa requirements are for Australians wanting to work there (I hate to admit it but don't leave your real name/number with them as some might flag you just for inquiring about working there - then if you decide to just holiday there in a year of two it could be a hassle ;)). You can find a list of them here: Index of Foreign Embassies in Australia