Cisco 2611 problem

faisal79faisal79 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

i bought a lab on e-bay the other day, im having problem with one of the routers its 2611 router.

the problems is that the router boots to romman> mode, even if i change the boot confreg to other things..

when its booting this error come up
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"
within the romman mode i checked the flash by issuing command dir flash:
here is what i get

rommon 2 > dir flash:
File size Checksum File name
16216012 bytes (0xf76fcc) 0x029d c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-1a.bin (bad c
hecksum: 0x6726)
rommon 3 >

please help to solve this problem

thanks in advance
Faisal79.jpg

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    faisal79 wrote: »
    rommon 2 > dir flash:
    File size Checksum File name
    16216012 bytes (0xf76fcc) 0x029d c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-1a.bin (bad checksum: 0x6726)
    Since the image on the flash is corrupt, you have nothing to boot from -- so it drops you in ROMMON. Use the tftpdnld command to copy a good image over from one of your other 2600 routers.

How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 via TFTP Using the tftpdnld ROMMON Command - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • faisal79faisal79 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks mikej412 the links you give me was really helpfull, im running into another problem

im connected to the router via the console port, when i try to issue the following command
    rommon 2 > IP_ADDRESS=192.168.4.2
    rommon 3 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
    rommon 4 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.4.1
    rommon 5 > TFTP_SERVER=192.168.4.1
    rommon 6 > TFTP_FILE=c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-5
    rommon 7 > tftpdnld

IP_ADDRESS: 192.168.4.2
    IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0
    DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 192.168.4.1
    TFTP_SERVER: 1
    TFTP_FILE: c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-5

Invoke this command for disaster recovery only.
    WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost!
    Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]: y
    Interface link did not come up. Timed out.

what interface is it refering to, do i need to be connected via fastEthernet if so how can i configure it in the rommon> mode?

thanks again
    Faisal79.jpg
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Plug in the first ethernet port on the router to your switch.

Why does it say "TFTP_SERVER: 1" ? Did you cut & paste it wrong there or did it really print that out?
    thanks Tiersten

i got the instruction from the link below which i was given from my first question

How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 via TFTP Using the tftpdnld ROMMON Command - Cisco Systems

when i plug in my switch to the ethernet port of the router,how can i configure this interface, because the router only boots up to the rommon mode, can i configure the interface which is connected to the switch with this mode?

if the instruction from the link above are wrong please suggest alternative

thanks
    Faisal79.jpg
    What you typed into ROMMON is how you configure it.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need to use a cross-over Ethernet cable if you're plugging directly into another 2600 switch, or a straight through Ethernet cable if you've got a switch in the middle.

You'd have to configure the OTHER 2600 router to be at that IP address (of the T-FTP Server) and to serve up it's IOS file for T-FTP requests.

If you have a "lab PC" you could also just load T-FTP software (like SolarWinds or Pumpkin) and backup a copy of a 2600 IOS Image from another 2600 and then load this problem 2600 from that (and the T-FTP server address would then be your PC).

The key thing is that those environment variables you are defining in ROMMON are CASE SENSITIVE.... You can change the IP addresses from that document to match what ever existing addressing scheme you have in your lab.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Hello

can i first say big thanks to all of you who helped me, the last problem was hardware fault, i had to replace the flash..

i have one question to ask, yesterday my friend was using my lab, he was on my 3600 router when he typed in the privileged mode copy running-configuration startup-configuration the router prompted him, you are earsing everything in the flash he press Enter and the Flash was completly deleted..

why is this command ereasing the flash i was shocked, i thought it only replaces the startup-config with the running-config?

my second question is where can i get IOS image for this router any help will be appreciated

thanks
    Faisal79.jpg
    faisal79 wrote: »
    i have one question to ask, yesterday my friend was using my lab, he was on my 3600 router when he typed in the privileged mode copy running-configuration startup-configuration the router prompted him, you are earsing everything in the flash he press Enter and the Flash was completly deleted..

why is this command ereasing the flash i was shocked, i thought it only replaces the startup-config with the running-config?
    If they typed it correctly then it will just save the configuration. No clue what your friend did. The configuration isn't even stored in flash on a 3600, it has its own EEPROM.