Best book for Security+

paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have just passed the Network+ today, and also have a A+ certificate. This will be my next cert that I want to take, what is the best book to read? I have seen several on Amazon. Please advise me. Thanks!

Comments

• VicountVicount Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you already have a background that covers security, I found the ExamCram book helpful for a focused review of the material before I took this exam.
    A good plan is essential because as you deviate (and you will deviate), it reminds you what the original goal was.
  • ats3ats3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also just passed the Network Plus today and am looking at Security Plus next. I dont have any security background. What book is recommended for the new Security Plus exam?
  • paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Syngress book was good. It looks like there's a second edition, which I presume covers the updated exam.
  • saniaalisaniaali Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Books of Network Security By William Stallings
  • you are gonna want to go with Syngress (The big red one) for sure. I passed the exam with that book alone.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well planning to take my Sy-101 soon and goin thru the Syngress book .. bit boring it is but had good feedback from users who have tried it and would recommend the same to u as well

when ru taking ur exam ........& all the best icon_cheers.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone here. I used several books to study for the Security+ but kept coming back to the Syngress. It is long and dry, but that is what it will take to get through this exam

This exam is BREADTH not DEPTH

good luck and let us know how you do

Breadfan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
    i cant find the Syngress book for the 201 test anywhere.. can anyone provide a link?
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    i cant find the Syngress book for the 201 test anywhere.. can anyone provide a link?

According to Syngress the 201 book will not be published until Aug 2009.

Elsevier-Science and Technology Publishers, Books, Major Reference Works, Online Education, Textbooks
  • MJackMJack Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought syngress, fast pass, mike myers, cram for 101. Syngress is very good for understanding the topic. but i hv my own fear for exam which i appearing last week of July
  • blackeggblackegg Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: SY0-201" ISBN-10: 0470372966

This is what I'm currently using. It has great reviews and it's fairley easy to read. The deluxe edition has an extra 200 pages and several hundred questions/tests on the included CD.
    I might get an "Exam Cram" for a finisher...I'll wait and see.

Good Luck!
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary...those that do and those that don't!
    Since i could not get 90 marks on online test, i changed my mind to write 201 after a month and preparing for the same with vigour
    Since i could not get 90 marks on online tests, i changed my mind to write 201 after a month and preparing for the same with vigour