Options

Please help with resume

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Hello Everyone,

I have really appreciated using this forum. I have learned so much from all of you. I could really use some constructive criticism on writing resumes. What do you guys think of what I have so far?

:)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    IMO objectives are pretty useless. If your objective wasn't to get a job why would you be sending your resume? If I were you I'd combine the skills section and objective into a summary where you can briefly describe yourself and your skills. I'd also elaborate a little on the work experience and leave out the numbers as they aren't really that high. Some people work more than seventy cases a week. You can also trash the related coursework and references section. If they want your references they will ask.

Not too bad though I like the layout and I'm a fan of the bullet point format.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I agree with all of networker050184's suggestions, except for possibly the coursework. Given the skills list, I think leaving it in for now may be a good thing. Just be sure to drop it once your skill set has grown.
  • Options
    HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont know the first thing about writing a good resume; however, if you go to www.jobfox.com you can create a profile and attach your resume. A professional resume person will read it free of charge and offer advice on some things you might consider changing.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Skills should list anything and everything you know. From OS's to protocols to specific equipment and programs.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I would get rid of the objective and references section & use the extra space to beef up & jazz up your work history section - being quantitative is good, but seeing "over xx" a couple times gets a bit repetitive. Keep some numbers in there, but also put in information about any accomplishments rather than just listing out things you've done.

I was a little confused by order of your work history too - most folks go for reverse chronological order, and although the start dates are overlapping a bit, I'd list your current position first.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Watch your capitalization on words that do not need to be capitalized.

"mobile data"
    "network infrastructure"

I don't see these as proper nouns, and grammar is something you do not want to skimp on.