Passed CEH... ECSA anyone?

carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
I was wondering if anyone has done the ECSA course or has the certification. I might be able to take a course here pretty soon. I missed out on GIAC GCIA due to bad timing. There will be no more GIAC courses given in Florida for the rest of the year. I figured that since there is a ECSA course being offered in Ft. Lauderdale here in the next couple of months I should probably go for it. I wanted some input on it before I made my decision.

Thanks!

Comments

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

How did you do? Self study or receiving the training? How long did you study?
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Thanks! I self studied and got a 94% on the test. I initially decided to study for it back in October but then stopped because I had a job in which I had to travel way too much and did not have the time to study. In January I picked it back up and booked the exam for this month. I would say I studied on and off for 3 months.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does your job include this kind of skill? Because I was thinking that self study could take me 6 month for this exam.

I have exp with windows servers and basic with linux, I al playing a little bit with Back Track and reading a book, just like introduction.

I did not ask to ec-council for self study jet.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep in mind that v5 of the CEH is going to retire at the end of May (last I heard), so you might want to buckle down and get it done or wait for more v6 material.

Congrats on the pass to the OP! I've only seen a couple of people with the ECSA; it doesn't seem to be that popular. The material seems interesting though, so if you have the opportunity for training, go for it.
    impelse wrote: »
    Does your job include this kind of skill? Because I was thinking that self study could take me 6 month for this exam.

I have exp with windows servers and basic with linux, I al playing a little bit with Back Track and reading a book, just like introduction.

I did not ask to ec-council for self study jet.

I think that if you get pretty familiar with the tools in Backtrack and some reading you should be fine. I also deal with a lot of this at work so that helped me a lot.

I used some CBT's of Kenneth Mayer who moves his hands a lot and is very annoying, lol. I also used the following books.
    Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep book
    Amazon.com: Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep (Exam Prep 2 (Que Publishing)): Michael Gregg: Books

CEH: Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Exam 312-50 (Paperback)
    Amazon.com: CEH: Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Exam 312-50: Kimberly Graves: Books
    dynamik wrote: »
    Keep in mind that v5 of the CEH is going to retire at the end of May (last I heard), so you might want to buckle down and get it done or wait for more v6 material.

Congrats on the pass to the OP! I've only seen a couple of people with the ECSA; it doesn't seem to be that popular. The material seems interesting though, so if you have the opportunity for training, go for it.

Thanks! So I thought on the ECSA. I don't know anyone with that certification. I actually just started to read up on it since I missed out on GCIA. I figured since I have so much money that I can use in training every year, I can find something to use it on. It does sound interesting so I hope that I can take it. Hopefully next year I can get GCIA, GCIH and/or GPEN out of the way. I can't afford to take the courses out of pocket.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take and pass the ECSA you'll be allowed to get the LPT from them.....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GPEN looks amazing. I'll put that on a credit card if I have to, but I need to make sure I'm up to that level first. Definitely look into the OSCP if you're interested in that type of stuff.
    dynamik wrote: »
    GPEN looks amazing. I'll put that on a credit card if I have to, but I need to make sure I'm up to that level first. Definitely look into the OSCP if you're interested in that type of stuff.

Yeah it does. Hope to take GPEN and OSCP next year or as soon as I get CISSP out of the way. One of my co-workers is going to the ECSA class next month. If everything goes good I will try to follow up behind him.
  • BillV_BillV_ Member Posts: 114 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have taken the ECSA course and hold the certification - so now you can know at least 1 person if you haven't found another yet :-p ... Did you have any specific questions? The feedback I have heard from EC-Council is that there has been more demand for ECSA recently.

BillV
  • VendaynVendayn Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am scheduled to take the C|EH in mid August, right after a class from Foundstone call 'Ultimate Hacking'. I'm excited about the class as so far I'm completely self taught in this area. I used the same Official book for study as OP, which sadly is pretty vague and requires a lot of looking things up yourself. *cough* Directory Traveral *cough* My hands on is all done through BackTrack 4.0 and my own network. I'd really like to hear a follow up about the E|CSA, specifically how hard the exam is, it's potential worth (I've also heard EC-Council's certs are in high demand), I'd really like to get my hands on their LTP.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My instructor was talking about it today. Of couse he is LPT. So, he recommend to go for it.

I just passed the exam today, so I'm going after this one in next two months
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn