N010-004 : OSI & IPv4 & IPv6

NickGNickG Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Been studying for the last month or so for the Network+ 2009 objectives test, I am taking this coming Wednesday Most of the stuff has been pretty straightforward, with the OSI model and IP addressing being my main hurdles.

The OSI model I am just having trouble with varying definitions of each layers' function. If I look in one book it's one definition, if I look in another book it's a totally different definition, also I cannot seem to find a complete listing of which protocols specifically are in each layer, I mean I can get the basic protocols found in each layer, but nothing much beyond that.

ARP & DNS I am getting confused too.

IPv6 makes no darn sense to me at all...IPv4 I can understand a little with the Class of IPs but how they are dealt with in the new IPv6 ...again confused i be.

Taking two different practice test suites, one says I am kicking arse while the other I am failing miserably at.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• TXOgreTXOgre Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NickG wrote: »
    Been studying for the last month or so for the Network+ 2009 objectives test, I am taking this coming Wednesday Most of the stuff has been pretty straightforward, with the OSI model and IP addressing being my main hurdles.

The OSI model I am just having trouble with varying definitions of each layers' function. If I look in one book it's one definition, if I look in another book it's a totally different definition, also I cannot seem to find a complete listing of which protocols specifically are in each layer, I mean I can get the basic protocols found in each layer, but nothing much beyond that.

ARP & DNS I am getting confused too.

IPv6 makes no darn sense to me at all...IPv4 I can understand a little with the Class of IPs but how they are dealt with in the new IPv6 ...again confused i be.

Taking two different practice test suites, one says I am kicking arse while the other I am failing miserably at.

Anybody have any suggestions?

My suggestion is to relax. It's not a difficult test, and you've studied for a month. If you get any questions about IPV6, they'll be very basic and simple (how many bits in an IPV6 address), and the OSI questions are fairly easy too (what layer of the OSI model does a switch fit in).

You'll do fine, stop stressing out.

Specifically regarding the OSI model, I think it's silly and purely academic. You'll rarely (if ever) have a discussion about where something fits in the OSI model, or on what layer the issue you're troubleshooting lays, in the real world. Frankly, if you bring it up you'll just confuse most people. Even people who feel they have a solid grasp on the OSI model often can't seem to articulate their understanding.
    A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSE
  • NickGNickG Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I took my test this morning and PASSED!!!

Passing Score: 720
    Candidate Score: 765

The test hardly seemed focused at all on OSI,

I mean it's best to know which protocols belong to what layer, an important to know which devices (switches/bridges/routers/hubs/etc) are used at what layer BUT, beyond that the 2009 objectives test seemed to ask very few things related to it. I think CompTIA realized the layers were important but retweaked the original 2005 objectives test to not focus on it too much.

IP addressing seemed important.

WiFi technologies seemed to come up a lot

Cabling felt like it came up a bit every now an then, just basic length/cable type/data rate stuff. I had been studying all of that micron crap and yeah, there was some wasted time.

I'd give specifics but there is the whole NDA supposedly, so I won't say anymore.

Tips for those looking to pass:

-Dedicate at the least a full 2 weeks of studying before the test. Port #'s are easy to memorize but trying to remember the functions of protocols is a pain, trying to remember cable specifications is even worse.

-Practice tests are your friend, try to have about two different types. I had three different types of practice tests and focused on the two I kept getting failing scores on, those tougher ones helped prepare me a LOT. Also remember to go back and read what the answers were to the questions you missed on the practice test. I made the mistake of just studying and then taking each test to gage my progress, and of course i kept failing the practice tests. Eventually I actually studied the answers to the questions I missed and found I learned a lot more stuff faster that way.

-Avoid the internet. It's perfectly fine if you need to look up an answer or something, but if anybody is a internet junkie like me, you'll find yourself being tempted to go to some random web page when your bored studying questions.

-Read the TechExam notes in the CompTIA Network + section, they'll help kinda give you a basic overview or primer of stuff you need to know upfront before you get deep into specific protocols and the like.

Hope everybody who takes the 2009 objectives test does well.

On to Security+ and CCNA! :)
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Congradulations!

Yeah, learning the OSI model just comes in time. It's kind of like subnetting, just keep reading about it and it eventually comes to you.

There will be a little about the OSI in the CCNA, but your biggest challenge there will probably be subnetting.

Learn To Subnet:  A Free, Lecture-Based Presentation on IP Addressing and Subnetting

There are some great videos available on Youtube as well. Just type in subnetting in to their search bar.

You will have fun with Security+ as well. Lots of good information, and interesting too.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics