Six Figures in NY Metro Area

homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
I was wondering everyone's thoughts regarding earning a six-figure salary in the NYC area. How much experience and what type of job would constitute such payment? Working for a large consulting company (ie, Accenture)? Or a more "typical" IT position (working in one office with a specific role)?

Any insight, advice, or other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Depends on industry. Let's say you worked for an Investment Bank/Bank/Hedgefund, desktop support types (level 2/3) can pay upwards of $80K, before getting salary capped.

Move onto server side or network side and you can easily break 6 figures, with some hands-on experience (3+ years) under your belt.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    Depends on industry.

Exactly. Do you find middle-aged executives attractive?

Oh, wait. You meant IT work for different industries. Nevermind...
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    homerj742 wrote: »
    I was wondering everyone's thoughts regarding earning a six-figure salary in the NYC area. How much experience and what type of job would constitute such payment? Working for a large consulting company (ie, Accenture)? Or a more "typical" IT position (working in one office with a specific role)?

Any insight, advice, or other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I wouldn't be surprised in the Financial District area, or in Mid town.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    homerj742 wrote: »
    Working for a large consulting company (ie, Accenture)?
    You'd think that wouldn't you?

But in reality the big consulting agencies tend to pay their employees poorly compared to the smaller agencies with very targeted niche markets (Virtualization, Unified Communications, etc).

How much experience do you have in IT thus far and in what areas?
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is really depending on your position and company. Yes, there is a lot of IT professional that make that much, but also many of them don't have any IT experience and sit in the position.

Those are the waste of our money.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    astorrs wrote: »
    You'd think that wouldn't you?

But in reality the big consulting agencies tend to pay their employees poorly compared to the smaller agencies with very targeted niche markets (Virtualization, Unified Communications, etc).

How much experience do you have in IT thus far and in what areas?

Wow, I had no idea, I thought the more general the more money.

I have 4+ years of experience on the server side of things (Windows, AD, exchange etc...).
    A few months with SQL 2005.
    A few months with Vmware.

I worked with a small startup consulting company handling mid-size companies. now I work for one of the largest non-profits in the world. We support approx 6600 users in our territory.

Certs: MCSE 2003 +Security, CCNA.
    I also interned and frequently temped at the same place of internship from 2000-2003. It was desktop support position. Does that count as IT experience? If so, that might bump me up to 7+ years experience haha.
  • mikezmikez Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    are you looking to move there or are do you already live in the area?
    I live just outiside NYC. Many people here commute.
    I once commuted into White Plains...I hated it. 1hour 30minutes each way. I guess if its a 100K plus job in the city and living in the burbs it would be well worth it.
    I spent my last job commuting to white plains, from Rockland county. Although it was 25 mile drive, it took anywhere b/w 45-90mins!
    i would like to think 6 figures in the nyc metro area is the norm since you have an mcse and ccna. anything less than 80k would be a slap in the face since the cost of living in nyc is so damn high.
    Go for the 6 figures, its good to know what you are worth, but be prepared to work for it.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    mikez wrote: »
    I once commuted into White Plains...I hated it. 1hour 30minutes each way.

WTF, really? That's terrible. I can take the express from Trenton and be at Penn Station in just over an hour.
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Interesting topic.

I have not seen that many people making over 85k-90K yet in NYC, even with 4-5 years of AD/ Exchange/ Sharepoint experience. Except if you are working for a large company.
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    WTF, really? That's terrible. I can take the express from Trenton and be at Penn Station in just over an hour.

Yeah! if you're on a train. But the commute is crazy during morning and afternoon rush hour coming off and on the pazee bridge.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Don't make too much. In New York they'll tax half your income.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    TravR1 wrote: »
    Don't make too much. In New York they'll tax half your income.

Yup, I'm around $85k and I'm taxed around 40% (probably more since $10k of that is a bonus and they tax bonuses higher than the average) between Federal, State, City and the whole slew of other crap...sucks. Especially after moving here from PA where taxes were way lower.
  • you can always get that CCIE, ha
    SRTMCSE wrote: »
    Yup, I'm around $85k and I'm taxed around 40% (probably more since $10k of that is a bonus and they tax bonuses higher than the average) between Federal, State, City and the whole slew of other crap...sucks. Especially after moving here from PA where taxes were way lower.

NY has probably 4-5 different taxes they deduct from your pay. It sucks because you could be expecting a nice chunk, next thing you see.... a nice portion went on taxes.... and you don't even see most of your return come income tax season.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you guys serious 40 percent of 85 K OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe that. But I do I am just saying WT????

really so you only net 6o percent? but that is around 1900.00 a paycheck right? at least that is your net but yeah livingin the cities yikes!

I am glad I live in podunk! hahahhh not!
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□

Dynamic said:

Exactly. Do you find middle-aged executives attractive?

Oh, wait. You meant IT work for different industries. Nevermind

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif THAT IS FUNNY