Options

Finally Passed Security Plus

mmitch2daymmitch2day Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Finally passed SYO-201 today with 860. Failed 1st time SYO-101 with a 705.
Used EXAM CRAM SYO-201 and SYBEX Comptia Security + Study Guide by Emmett Dulaney.
In addition, I purchased Transcenders practice tests. I had a diiferent strategy this time.
Read questions twice, eliminated two, then picked best anaswer. If I didn't know the question, I marked and moved onward through the test. I revisited incomplete questions at the end. This worked well as I had a little anxiety from failure before. This test is a bit more tricky then Microsoft Tests I have taken in past. The study material on this site is an excellent review.

Thank to all who share their experiences,

//respectfully//
mmitch2day
mmitchmcp2day

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Congrats on the test.

I'm presently using the same books for the SY0-201.
  • Options
    no1stunna2kno1stunna2k Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!! bowing.gif
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    PorkalustPorkalust Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    PeibolPeibol Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz and welcome to the Security+ club, :p
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    coolhandluke12coolhandluke12 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed today myself, congrats dude!
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are the questions better than on the 101 exam? I kept hearing that the questions in 101 were horrible, and it was difficult to figure out what they were asking. I am hoping that the 201 exam is better.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, (this test wasn't easy, that's for sure). What's next for you?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    AD200AD200 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    AJJ28AJJ28 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well done mate
  • Options
    stangmanstangman Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats,

Took the 101 test myself twice and failed both, 709 the first time and then a 733 so I'm curious myself how the questions on 201 compare to 101.
  • Options
    lenmacpeilenmacpei Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stangman wrote: »
    Congrats,

Took the 101 test myself twice and failed both, 709 the first time and then a 733 so I'm curious myself how the questions on 201 compare to 101.

Yes I am curious as well. I've heard that the questions on the 101 are poorly written, but have somewhat been remedied in the 201.
  • Options
    Baldeagle79Baldeagle79 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the Security+ today w/ an 830 using the above listed strategy (Sybex Guide and Review, and Transcender's questions). It is the first time I've taken a certification test, so this was new to me...took about 12 minutes b/c I either knew the answers or I didn't. At any rate, I will say that I am disappointed that Sybex didn't go into enough detail about some of the things it should have.

Without violating any policy of repeating the questions, I'll just say that if you know the port #'s for a protocol, that's great, but you should also know the different functions that the same protocol has over different ports (e.g., NetBIOS runs over 137,138, and 139, but you should be able to differentiate them). There are other protocols that have multiple ports, so just make sure you know them, too!
    icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    stangmanstangman Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the Security+ today w/ an 830 using the above listed strategy (Sybex Guide and Review, and Transcender's questions). It is the first time I've taken a certification test, so this was new to me...took about 12 minutes b/c I either knew the answers or I didn't. At any rate, I will say that I am disappointed that Sybex didn't go into enough detail about some of the things it should have.

Without violating any policy of repeating the questions, I'll just say that if you know the port #'s for a protocol, that's great, but you should also know the different functions that the same protocol has over different ports (e.g., NetBIOS runs over 137,138, and 139, but you should be able to differentiate them). There are other protocols that have multiple ports, so just make sure you know them, too!
    icon_cool.gif

Congrats!
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats mate, working on it right now; reading through the Sybex Comptia Security+ study guide. Good luck in future endeavors.