13 Years of Experience; No Certs

2»

Comments

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No hard feelings... Maybe I should have left the dollar figure out but I see other questions on this board from people asking, or assuming that this cert means you will be able to make this salary level. Don't get me wrong, it will help and possibly increase you chances but just as I don't believe a college degree is a golden ticket to a good job, I don't believe a cert is either.

When hired for my current position I went up against other potential network admins and they might have had certs, I don't know. However in interviewing the topic did not even come up. I interviewed with the IT Manager who spent the whole time asking me if I knew what X is and if the this happens what would I do. This was three months ago.

Last year I did some contract Sys Admin work and again when hired I was not asked about certs and the hiring manager (Senior IT member and IT Manager) did not even approach the subject. The job I had prior to that which was similair was the same case, the hiring manager not once showed any interest in certs, although he did ask if I might be pursuing a degree in the future.

Prior to that is possibly too long ago too be relevent but the story is the same. I've held multiple IT positions and never once have I even been asked about a cert, some have asked about a degree.

The point I'm trying to make here is that it wasn't just some lucky job that I got because I knew someone (I've never known anyone at a company I got hired at) but the companies that are hiring entry to mid level IT guys in my area do not seem concerned about certs.

It is also likely that some companies didn't call me back because I didn't have a cert or a degree on my resume. I simply think it's not true that you can't expect to get a good job if you don't have these things. A lot of great IT guys that I have worked with make a decent living without a degree or cert.
  • TXOgreTXOgre Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rsutton wrote: »
    No hard feelings... Maybe I should have left the dollar figure out but I see other questions on this board from people asking, or assuming that this cert means you will be able to make this salary level. Don't get me wrong, it will help and possibly increase you chances but just as I don't believe a college degree is a golden ticket to a good job, I don't believe a cert is either.

When hired for my current position I went up against other potential network admins and they might have had certs, I don't know. However in interviewing the topic did not even come up. I interviewed with the IT Manager who spent the whole time asking me if I knew what X is and if the this happens what would I do. This was three months ago.

Last year I did some contract Sys Admin work and again when hired I was not asked about certs and the hiring manager (Senior IT member and IT Manager) did not even approach the subject. The job I had prior to that which was similair was the same case, the hiring manager not once showed any interest in certs, although he did ask if I might be pursuing a degree in the future.

Prior to that is possibly too long ago too be relevent but the story is the same. I've held multiple IT positions and never once have I even been asked about a cert, some have asked about a degree.

The point I'm trying to make here is that it wasn't just some lucky job that I got because I knew someone (I've never known anyone at a company I got hired at) but the companies that are hiring entry to mid level IT guys in my area do not seem concerned about certs.

It is also likely that some companies didn't call me back because I didn't have a cert or a degree on my resume. I simply think it's not true that you can't expect to get a good job if you don't have these things. A lot of great IT guys that I have worked with make a decent living without a degree or cert.

I'm right there with you, I've been working 13 years, 12 of them as a contractor. I had to find a new job 2 times a year sometimes, and the only certifications I ever held were on-the-spot one time use vendor and equipment specific certifications (not even on my resume). After 3 months of work search, with the feedback I got from hiring managers, I decided getting the paper was the best thing to do in a tough job market.

The bonus is that I've dealt with most of the stuff on the tests in the real world, so I'm flying through them. Just scheduled the 70-290 for next week after 2 days of overview. I'm right on track to finish this up around the end of July.

On a side note, my mentor told me to slow down on the cert test or I might throw up a red flag, that they might think I'm dumping (do they even check that stuff?) I finished a practice exam in 25 minutes well over 90%. I haven't even opened the 2274c book.
    A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSE
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go as fast as you want. They look at a lot more metrics than just how far apart you took your exams. Even if you do raise a red flag, they wouldn't just yank your certs. I'm not sure what the exact process is, but maybe you'll get a phone call and have to answer some questions or something. As long as you know the material, you don't have anything to worry about.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rsutton

you are right. there are some jobs like that..keep being blessed man!
    I wish IT dudes asked me questions of how to fix this or what would I do.
    Like I mentioned in my interviews for net admin jobs. I asked one time ,"does
    anyone in this room know anything about IT?" not a good question to ask your
    possible future boss..hee hee wasnt hired..but I was pissed that people who
    knew nothing of It were hiring...I got reved up? ( hahaha me??) haa

yeah I know what you were trying to say somewhat just I am a dork sometimes and get reved up...I know after you talking you were just trying to give hime hope so was Dynamik..just it just sucks. Like I said I had 4 job interviews last year..was always in second interview but someone had a cert t hat I didnt have and I had some weasle HR dude interviewing me. At one point I got cocky (me cocky???) and ask the HR person in the interview with of course a panel of people. i always get panels..ah good practice, but I said at one point in 2 of the 4 interviews, "does anyone in here know anything about IT? anything? I think I pissed somem people off but I was serious..because the questions they asked and the responses I got from the were like my boss's? shallow and lacked any IT flavor? I was right though after talking with them, all of the were asking questions they had no idea on an answer. but the guy who asked for less money got hired......but sorry again if I was a jerkish..i am really not tha bad a dude ? hahaahicon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gif
    TXOgre,

man cablegod did the same thing...funny how things get distorted when you have working with window so much and so intensely that they even question you on the exams ahahaha how funny...the mcse exams are for those who have experience and are written by the experience so why wouldnt you pass them so fast, people are so nieve huh?

it is possible to rifle thru your mcse exams that fast..great job..
    it is only a matter of time TXOgre you will be eating caviar with the best
    or fried chicken! I hate caviar! yuke!

I wish I had as much experience as you dudes getting there thought..
    cheers mates!icon_study.gif
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    The world is just an illusion of a dreamworld that has been pulled over our eyes so that we may serve machines anyway. Nothing matters.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    "does anyone in this room know anything about IT?"

lol, I've been tempted too. Hang in there, you will find that sweet job sooner or later. A wise man once said that half of everything we do is decided by chance.
  • TXOgreTXOgre Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    The world is just an illusion of a dreamworld that has been pulled over our eyes so that we may serve machines anyway. Nothing matters.

I think my best option for getting the offer for a red or blue pill will be to spend as much time as possible in front of a computer.
    A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSE
    rsutton

I am serious. I went thru 2 level interviews and of course a panel each time of execs and I just had t ask that question because of the questions they were asking and this company had vendored IT out so they never had an IT guy. I even boldly said can you higher a IT contracter for 2 hours to interview me..needless to say they were offended but really I didnt care. I was just sick of weenie interviews that really never tested me as an IT person....I kind get nutz (if you havent noticed) I am flying with turkeys..pisses a guy off when you work so hard to know this IT stuff to some like yourself IT can be an art form!

thanks for helping me understand that there is hope somewhere I do appreicate your honesty and I appreciate you for forgiving me..icon_thumright.gif
    -Robert