Options

OSI Model

BenjaNinjaBenjaNinja Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm studying for the Net+ now and having a hard time finding some clear info regarding the OSI model. I'm looking at Wikipedia (among several other sources, mind you) but it seems a little hard to understand I guess... For example, is the BASIS of the Transport Layer just sending information? I know it keeps records for reliability, etc, but is that right? Any help would be appreciated.icon_lol.gif
Feel free to email (or message) me if you would be willing to help me study!
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TXOgreTXOgre Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BenjaNinja wrote: »
    I'm studying for the Net+ now and having a hard time finding some clear info regarding the OSI model. I'm looking at Wikipedia (among several other sources, mind you) but it seems a little hard to understand I guess... For example, is the BASIS of the Transport Layer just sending information? I know it keeps records for reliability, etc, but is that right? Any help would be appreciated.icon_lol.gif
    Feel free to email (or message) me if you would be willing to help me study!
    Thanks!

I know people who've been in the business for 20 years who couldn't adequately explain the OSI model. The questions on the test are fairly easy and pertain to what level some equipment operates on.
    A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSE
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    The CCNA book for Dummies also does a very excellent job of explaining the OSI layers!
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    TechExams.Net - N10-003 Network+ TechNotes, the PDF version

Try downloading the PDF and see how this helps you out.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is a link to an image that might help in your OSI model studies:

Imageshack - networkingessentialsfq7.jpg

~CP
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□

~CP

There are errors on that graph. In particular where it lists "implementations and applications".
  • Options
    blackeggblackegg Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□

~CP

I've noticed several mistakes on this OSI chart as well :~
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary...those that do and those that don't!
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah crap my bad I used an old stored bookmark not the updated one =(