Darkeros vs. RHCE!

I've just confirmed I'm taking the RHCE course and exam in June in St. Louis. Wish me luck! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

Btw, what are you studying between now and then?
  • serino78serino78 Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ..i'm taking rhce in july in st. louis..
    what study materials are u using?
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I'm going to go through the whole RHCE RHEL5 book by Jang. I've gone through most of it, but I'm going to go through the whole thing again very lightly as a recap before the course. The course should prepare you for the exam if you're familiar with all of the topics.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey buddy,

how is it going now?
    i'm sorry i've missed this subforum for long time,
    i should have visit this more frequently.

will the new RHCE cover GFS? and LVS?
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    Just studying a bunch!

Yeah it covers both.
    Here goes! Starting tomorrow. icon_cheers.gif
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Sweet! Can't wait to hear how you've done. I'm jealous, I wish I could join in the fun. icon_sad.gif
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    FYI, they've made changes to the RHCE exam:
    Red Hat wrote:
    Format of the RHCE and RHCT Exams

The RHCT exam is a subset of the RHCE exam delivered separately. Effective May 1, 2009, this exam is a single section lasting 2.0 hours. Previously, it had been two sections lasting a combined 3.0 hours. Consolidation and reorganization have made it possible to cover the same material more efficiently.

Effective May 1, 2009, the RHCE exam is a single section lasting 3.5 hours. Previously, it had been two sections lasting a combined 5.5 hours. The content has be consolidated and reorganized into a single section in which time is used more efficiently. The RHCE exam consists of RHCT components (essentially the RHCT exam) plus RHCE-specific components. It is possible to earn RHCT in an RHCE exam if one has met the RHCT requirements but not the RHCE ones.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yikes! That sounds a bit more intense!
    It may be. What they're saying is they took out sections that they found everyone to pass, such as installation steps. Instead of requiring you to do that, they're supposedly giving you an imaged OS. The problem is though everyone probably passed that section, it was nice to be able to use the installation time to read through and plan your attack. Without that, it likely will be much more intense.
    I like that. BRING ON THE HEAT! I like the pain! (I'll just let darkerosxx experience it first is all.)
    Yea, the installation seemed to be a key strategy-point as well (i.e. just install everything, or do a minimal install and install other items in the background as needed). Oh well, let us know how it shakes down for you. Good luck!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck and I have pretty good odds on your passing!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Good luck and I have pretty good odds on your passing!

What kind of odds are we talking about it? Are we putting money on this? :D
    speaking of which,

i've just found out that centos also has build a nice documentation ("probably" a derived works from html version Red Hat documentary) which originally i found it (used to be) only on red hat website.

lots of useful documentary there to study RHCT/RHCE - both html pages and ebook version :
    CentOS-5 Documentation

including the new GFS, LVS topics.

so, where/when do we start? and can we just post our study topic here on TE, so we (especially "I, me" personally) can follow the topics more frequently?

HTH.
    so, where/when do we start? and can we just post our study topic here on TE, so we (especially "I, me" personally) can follow the topics more frequently?

HTH.

Check the RHCE Prep Guide: redhat.com | RHCE Prep Guide
    OMG! Rough! I had 10 minutes to spare, so took me 3 hours and 20 minutes to complete.

I don't know if I passed or not, really. I had several sections where I think I set it up right, but couldn't remember how to test. I'll have to wait until I hear from Red Hat with my pass/fail.

The cool thing is it's very easy to suggest how to study for the RHCE exam. Get the prep guide and make sure you can do everything in there without using any material other than docs available through a normal yum repository.

Good luck to everybody else. If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer, but don't ask me to break the NDA.
    Good luck! I sure hope I get to take it some day. Was it fun?
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    You should receive the results by early next week. When I took the exam last March they had the results back to us Saturday morning. I was disappointed that they only emailed us a PDF rather than a printed cert.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you passed both sections.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    undomiel wrote: »
    Good luck! I sure hope I get to take it some day. Was it fun?

It actually was fun because it was very challenging. Incredibly stressful taking it the first time... but fun. icon_wink.gif
    Awesome. Good luck!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm hoping you're going to get good news to share with us!! icon_thumright.gif

But in the mean time there's probably nothing to do but wait and recover from the exam. drunken_smilie.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    But in the mean time there's probably nothing to do but wait and recover from the exam. drunken_smilie.gif
    Haha, yep! Caught a Cardinals game while I was in STL and some far overpriced beer and burgers.

I found out Saturday morning that I passed! Had an email waiting for me around 8am. Really happy I got past this one. I thought it would haunt me for a while.

Thanks everybody for the help, inspiration, and good luck wishes. icon_cheers.gif

Now onto Small Business Server 08 at the end of June. icon_thumright.gif
    Woohoo!!! Congratulations on your pass! Hurry up on that RHCA now. :)
    Congrats darkerosxx!
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    I passed!
    Congratulations!!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    congrats buddy!!! ;)
    That's amazing, congratulations!