Options

How do you make a bootable windows 2000 cd?

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
How do you make a bootable windows 2000 cd?

I need to be able to make a bootable Windows 2000 CD, I also want the option to press any key to boot from the CD like an original Windows 2000 CD.

What CD burning software do I need?
Which files should I copy?
Has anyone got a how-to-guide?

Please help,

D-boy

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm in no way an expert on CD burning, but here's how I create a startup disk for my XP computer (same procedure as 2000):

First I copy the NTLDR and the NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI to a floppy disk (formatted using format.exe on the OS you want to boot) to make a startup floppy. Next I use Nero to create a CD-ROM (boot) CD using the floppy as the source and 1.44 floppy as emulation type. Doesn't ask for "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM" however...

I hope this helps,

Johan
  • Options
    CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    Here is a good site ot have in mind...
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.bootdisk.com/
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    correct me if i am wrong, but are you trying to copy an unlicensed copy of windows 2000?
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking at first also... I think he does mean a startup disk. Could show useful, with diskless pc or laptops.
  • Options
    bellboy wrote:
    correct me if i am wrong, but are you trying to copy an unlicensed copy of windows 2000?

I lost the Windows 2000 evaluation CD from my MS Press study pack icon_cry.gif . Plus those evaluation cd's have a limited install time. I need to practice doing Auto installs of Windows 2000 & I can't do it with Windows 2000 setup disks (1-4 disks) as I need my A: drive for the Winnt.sif file on a floppy to be picked up by setup. How else can I do it without a bootable Windows 2000 CD?

icon_rolleyes.gif Don't tell me you have never copied software before "Bell boy"?

Thanks for your help anyway,

D-boy
  • Options
    Don't tell me you have never copied software before "Bell boy"?
    The reason why our moderator asked you is because if you are trying to copy an unlicensed copy of windows 2000, you are not allowed to discuss it in our forums.
    How else can I do it without a bootable Windows 2000 CD?
    If you don't have a bootable Windows 2000 CD you don't have Windows 2000 so I guess you can't do it. Perhaps to you it seems 'usual' to make illegal copies of product CDs, it is still illegal and as in most forums not an allowed topic.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    D-boy wrote:
    icon_rolleyes.gif Don't tell me you have never copied software before "Bell boy"?

i do not deny having some unlicensed software. and mp3 files.

my operating systems are all licensed. i bought copies of nt4 and windows 2000 especially for my a+ studies.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    Sorry "Webmaster", I didn't know icon_redface.gif my bad...

I here you "Bell boy",

So if I had the original Windows cd and copied it would that be Illegal icon_confused.gif: When your earning BIG money like you guys I guess you can afford it, even the upgrade isn't cheap! that won't happen until I at least get to MCSA, then i would have no problem paying for software.

D-boy