Options

Applying for non-IT related jobs...

Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
I'mjust looking for full time work, it can be anything from Route Driver to Warehouse Worker, I want to how I should fix my resume to apply to these jobs that aren't Technoloy related?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most positions have a list of responsibilities. I'd tailor your skills and work experience to address those as best you can. If they don't list responsibilities or you don't think the list is very comprehensive, do a little brainstorming or look at better job listings for similar positions and come up with something that you think would make you standout and appear valuable.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always look at what jobs I've had and what I did there. For example, working in IT Support you get skills in customer service, setting priority, working under pressure, maybe some inventory, and perhaps leadership. Just look at what you have done and go from there!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Between working at the phone company and where I work now I was a cook in an italian restaurant. Nothing like being a line cook with a ton of high-level cisco certs ;)

I greatly enjoy being a cook though, and if being a cook paid what what I make doing what I do now I'd be a cook instead.

Usually blue collar jobs just want people that fit in and work hard. If you provide a stacked resume you may get turned down because you are over qualified / wont fit in with your skillsets / will duck out for IT work again later. When I was a kitchen manager I wouldn't hire people that were from IT because they would just leave after a few weeks to get a better job. Hell, I did it several times. I knew better ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    dynamik wrote: »
    Most positions have a list of responsibilities. I'd tailor your skills and work experience to address those as best you can. If they don't list responsibilities or you don't think the list is very comprehensive, do a little brainstorming or look at better job listings for similar positions and come up with something that you think would make you standout and appear valuable.

I agree with this as well as the other posts. Tailor your resume according to what you are applying for. Unfortunately the fear many employers have is that if they see your high level IT resume, they know you're not in it for the long haul and just to get by.

On the flip side of it though, right now it's actually pretty common for highly skilled/educated people to apply for jobs well below their scope due to the economic situation so potential employers are aware of this as well.