Virtual Server Naming Conventions

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
What do you use for your physical box and virtualized server's naming convention?

I've been slapping a 'v' in front of the normal server name thus far and naming the physicals hosts normally. Just wanted to know anyone had a better way or if a vendor had released a recommendation anywhere?

here is what my clients are looking like...
SFESX01
vSffile01
vSfapp01
vSfapp02
-Daniel

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I usually put "-vm" as a suffix, as in "XPSP3-01-vm" or "Deb501-03-vm". Putting "v" or "vm" first in the name screws up alphabetizing and you end up with a machine directory that has a big "V" section. The "-vm" is unabiguous for machine name searches too.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I treat them just like my physical hosts... no special naming for VMs

If you're using a different convention for your VMs, are you renaming them when you P2V also?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    What do you use for your physical box and virtualized server's naming convention?

I've been slapping a 'v' in front of the normal server name thus far and naming the physicals hosts normally. Just wanted to know anyone had a better way or if a vendor had released a recommendation anywhere?

here is what my clients are looking like...
    SFESX01
    vSffile01
    vSfapp01
    vSfapp02

Since there are security vulnerabilities associated with virtualization software, bear in mind what you're advertising in the host name.
    Good luck to all!
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »

If you're using a different convention for your VMs, are you renaming them when you P2V also?

This. The servers are named for their role; i.e., VirtualCenter, Wisdom, HelpDesk, etc.

The host servers all have the same format: First four of location, followed by ESX##. EX: CorpESX01
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I do the same, after all we tell everyone (when trying to sell them on using them) that virtual machines are no different from physical machines. ;)

I do however distinguish the virtual hosts using whatever naming convention exists at the client. If they don't have one that's usually one of the first things I implement - and yes I have my personal preference there too. :)
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Our VMs use the same naming convention as physical servers. If we were to differentiate them somehow, I would prefer to have the physical servers with the special designation...something as simple as a rack number tacked onto the end of the name would be enough to indicate to us that it's not a VM.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.