Entry job: produce ad hoc reports???

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Hi
I will be applying to an entry level job at some company.

I meet most of their requirements specified on the job posting except one thing.

It's asking to produce an ad hoc report using SQL? Does anyone know what is an ad hoc report? Is there a standard code to produce these reports? or is it a manually written code?

I only know basic querying (tables, and inner joins) using SQL. But don't know how to produce an entire report.

I don't think the company is using Microsoft Management Studio or SQL Server 2005. They are probably using another database management system.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
Thank you

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    "ad hoc" is a phrase that means "for this" - so when they say they want you to produce ad hoc reports, they mean they'll want you to be able to produce reports on the fly to apply to a given situation/problem.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    an ad hoc report could mean they may just want some information about their business or clients. For example, here, they may tell me they want all of the sales from a certain entity for the past 5 years of type X.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey, it's Friday! Would anyone like an ad hoc sensual massage?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote: »
    Hey, it's Friday! Would anyone like an ad hoc sensual massage?
    that was frickin hysterical...I just laughed so loud, I think I scared my coworkers...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion