Options

Everyone says to specialize in your graduate degree, what did you specialize in?

Thanks to everyone that has posted in the how did you become a business owner and what got you into IT, I have really enjoyed reading about everyone's history. I just finished my AAS in CIS and am starting on my BA in the fall for Computer Science. Everyone has been saying to specialize when you get to the graduate level and I am wondering what did everyone specialize in? I like networking and am thinking of Information Security. I want to get a good job and I am just wondering what are good areas to specialize in because I really don't know what all is out there. Thanks everyone!
Taking 70-294 very soon...again

Comments

• Options
    mikezmikez Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking into graduate programs and what might be beneficial to me is an MBA in Technology Management. I love the technical side of things but I'm looking to move up so I'm not just a "tech" as some people would say.

Many schools are now offering this type of degree 100% online and some schools in hybrid online/campus components.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    MBA's are really good because you learn more about businesses as a whole and how to align the goals of all departments, not just how to get the job done.

My suggestion to you and I wish someone would have told me this: if you're even thinking of getting a graduate degree, pick one several semesters before you're done with your Bachelor's and find out if you're meeting all requirements to get in. If you are, find out if you can start taking any graduate courses while you're still in your Bachelor's program. These things can keep you on the right track and give you a good head start. Don't trust your advisers to do it for you.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I decided to get a Technical masters first before I get an MBA...I chose to specialize in network security so the masters of telecom with a security concentration was a no brainer for me.
  • Options
    benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found that the MIS program @ UIS is affordable, relevant, and highly acclaimed. It's an online program offered by a traditional, physical campus university. I recommend any Illinois resident check it out.

Department of Management Information Systems

Don't let the poor website design turn you off though :)P
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    benbuiltpc wrote: »
    All school websites seem to suffer from poor design. icon_wink.gif

In any case, my current path (option IV) takes me through a nice, balanced mix of electrical engineering and computer science classes, so I have plenty of time to figure out if I want to specialize in EE or CS when I get to grad-school.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    benbuiltpc wrote: »
    I found that the MIS program @ UIS is affordable, relevant, and highly acclaimed. It's an online program offered by a traditional, physical campus university. I recommend any Illinois resident check it out.

Department of Management Information Systems

That one used to offer in state tuition for online students whether you were in Illinois or not... not sure if they still do. I actually enrolled about 5 years ago but canceled at the last minute because something came up (I don't remember what) and I knew I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to it. Looked like a great program though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    suzanemillersuzanemiller Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would like to suggest you to search for more universities Ashford University, Capella University, Colorado Technical University, Kaplan University, WestWood College

These universities also provide MBA degree.