Information Technology Groups (local)

homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
Do any of you guys participate in regular professional meetups as a means of networking, or just sharing ideas/discussing topics within the Information Technology universe?

If so, how did you go about finding one? I'm looking for something in the New York area, but have no idea where to look! Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are user groups for a lot of things. Just off the top of my head, I know there are VMware, Exchange, and Sharepoint groups near me. I'm sure there are a lot more.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are, even in smaller cities, usually groups like that. Pick an interest, and do a google search, that's how I found some where I live.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends what you are looking for. There are many professional organizations that have regular meetings and some offer training or workshops for different professional credentials.

Just a few examples:

Association of Contingency Planners (BCP etc)
    ACP International - Home - Dedicated to the evolution of business continuity

ISSA - Information Systems Security Association
    https://www.issa.org/

PMI - Project Management Institute
    http://www.pmi.org/GetInvolved/Pages/Default.aspx

Various Linux User Groups in the US
    Linux Online - User Groups

or a simple google search of xxx user groups where xxx is whatever you are looking for cisco, windows, or whatever.

Please remember that most of the professional orginizations have dues or fees associated with them.

Hope this helps,

~CP
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was just wondering if any of you know of any IT or Computer Groups in Massachusetts or New Hampshire.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went to a Linux users group meeting about 8 years ago. Didn't really get much out of it, and haven't really bothered checking out any other groups. I did look to see if that group is still around and apparently they aren't, and the one that's around now looks to have about four members.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you may want to check with local colleges often they have fairly active user groups.
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try going to meetup.com and see if there is any local groups in your city.
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    Thanks for the advice guys :)