MCSE before Security+

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
Don't mean to start an old topic, but I am kind of busy and don't have the patience to search the archives icon_redface.gif

I was curious if this was a good idea? I am finishing the MCDST and Linux+ here in the next month and not sure where to go from there. I thought I remembered one person suggesting MCSA/MCSE before Security+ and I believe I heard it the other way around too.

Anyone have any general suggestions to which is better? I'm sure mostly it's personal preference, but it seems to me that you would apply security knowledge to the OS after you know more about the OS and what it is capable of. icon_confused.gif

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Both ways would work. I took Security+ and am thinking about getting my MCSA.

You don't need to know what's on the MCSA in order to pass Sec+, if that's what you're asking.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree, there's something to say for both ways. However, I already knew 60-70% of the Security+ exam from my MCSE NT 4, so surely being an MCSE makes sec+ easier. I guess it also depends on how much experience and knowledge you already possess. If you are fairly new to IT, MCSA/MCSE may give you a better idea of the context and hence make it easier to grasp the concepts and where and when they apply.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I do not have any experience really in the IT workplace other than Tech Support for about 7 months over the phone, and honestly anyone who can read can do that icon_lol.gif . Where I live it's relatively hard to get your foot in the door on a help desk or something of the sort without experience.

I just graduated college this month, so with a little luck and some more certs maybe I can get a decent entry level position to gain some experience. Most of the job openings I read want/require experience along with education + certs. It's just tough :o

So I was thinking maybe MCSE before Sec+ to get in the door. IMO I think it might help a little better just to show some overall knowledge of a platform. Merry Xmas icon_santa.gif
    If you're doing it to get a job, definately go for your MCSE first.

I don't think Sec+ will really get you hired, where an MCSE most likely would.

However, it will take a long time to get your MCSE...at least a year.
  • fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    I would use the Security+ as an elective for your MCSE. If I read the MS site correctly you have to be an MCP prior to taking the Security+ in order for it to count.
    fondue, I don't think that's the case, but I may be wrong.
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i read that yesterday. you can use it. but im unsure if its for mcsa or mcse. forgot....saw it on m$.com
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe it is an elective for MCSA+ Security or MCSE + Security. You can take the MS exam (choice of 2 I believe) or Sec+.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • nightstrm_utnightstrm_ut Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fondue wrote:
    I would use the Security+ as an elective for your MCSE. If I read the MS site correctly you have to be an MCP prior to taking the Security+ in order for it to count.
    You have to have a MCP before you can submit it to Microsoft to count towards the MCSA (or a security specialization), but you can take it before you get your first MCP. This is exactly what I did, took Security+ first, then passed the 70-270 exam.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    RussS wrote:
    I believe it is an elective for MCSA+ Security or MCSE + Security. You can take the MS exam (choice of 2 I believe) or Sec+.

Thats correct......MCSA plus the security+ gets you your MCSA:Security....To get the MCSE:Security (2000) you have to have your design elective 220, 214 as another elective, and security+...

If you have already started Microsoft exams...I would probably stick with those until the end and then take it....If not, take Security+ first...It is one test and you get a cert while you working on the MCSA /E....Then once you pass 210 or whichever MCP exam you take, submit the Security+ to Microsoft.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA