Looking for Accredited Online Universities!

suzanemillersuzanemiller Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]I am planning to get enrolled in online college program. But, being working I can't manage to attend regular classes. Actually, I am bit scared regarding its future prospects because i have heard there are some jobs where online degrees are not accepted.

[/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Can anyone share his/ her experience [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]regarding some good online university offering degree in IT?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WGU and Capella are the two I see on here most often.
  • sdyesssdyess Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devry is accredited and very well respected. I have a Master's through Keller, their Masters Program.
  • OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sdyess wrote: »
    Devry is accredited and very well respected. I have a Master's through Keller, their Masters Program.

If by 'respected' you mean 'advertise like crazy so everyone has heard of them' I would agree.

I'm not going to get high and mighty, but I would personally avoid ITT/Devry/UPheonix.

Not to say you won't learn anything, but if I were hiring I'd be look at anyone else with similar qualifications from a different school first.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
    Why avoid DeVry?? I really learned a lot, and it is very well known and respected.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I always recommend finding a B&M school with a distance education program...my personal favorite is www.nova.edu scis.nova.edu . They have programs in CS, MIS, InfoSec, & CIS all at the MS and PhD level. The progams are completely online except for some of the residency requirements for the PhD program. There are many other great schools out there, I almost went to Capella actually. Their program seems well done also, but I decided for my career plans getting my degree locally will help me out more. So what are you long term plans exactly?
  • RiskblingRiskbling Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FSU Online - Prospective Online Students - Graduate Programs - Computer Science

First ever ABET accredited undergrad BS Computer Science program I have found. However, attend classes if you can!
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif] I am quite fearful regarding their future because there are some employers who do not accept online degrees thinking that the quality of syllabus is not on par with the traditional degree program.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]

You said it yourself! I'm totally against doing an entire degree online no matter how much prestige one tries to attach to online education. The major disadvantage of online education is the nonexistence of motivation. Now try to complete university level courses in front of a PC all by yourself; unless I'm Einstein determined to work on next big discovery I wouldn't have too much motivation to study in front of a PC for four years. I'd rather be in a class and learn besides some hot ladies :) (there is one advantage).

But that's me, hey, but if it makes you happy that's all it matters. Good luck.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why avoid DeVry??

That's the wrong question about any university program (and I'm not just picking on DeVry). The right question is, "what is it about program x at university y that will 1) prepare me for a career in x, and 2) work for me once I've completed their program?"

A good rule of thumb is, if you have to explain why you attended a specific school, then that having completed that program is not working for you.

In general, the distinction for me is not online vs. traditional, rather, it is whether the university is organized purely for profit or not.
    I really learned a lot

What one learns has very little to do with the school attended.
    , and it is very well known and respected.

While I agree with the "well known" part, as far as the "respected" part goes I would recommend doing a little research into common perceptions about various universities.

MS
    I am not going to argue with you. I prefer online, other's do not. I feel prepared for a career in the IT industry and my degree is working for me.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Speaking as someone who received a Masters degree from an online university (Capella), you had better like lots of reading, writing, independent research, and self-organization with self-motivation to get through a multi-year online degree program. If you prefer ingesting knowledge via lectures, taking exams, and hands-on/face-to-face experiences, you will be better off in the brick-and-mortar educational institutions.
    I am not going to argue with you. I prefer online, other's do not. I feel prepared for a career in the IT industry and my degree is working for me.

I'm definitely not looking for an argument...as I've said, we all get out of any education program (online or traditional) exactly what we put into it. For the most part the people that comment here are self-motivated and are probably more likely to put the effort into any program to get something useful out of it. After all, a majority of the population here self-studies for various certifications....

What I object to is advice along the lines of "Why avoid school x?"

What concerns me, and again (this just isn't about DeVry), is the amount of controversy that tends to follow "universities" organized on a for-profit basis vs. those organized on a traditional basis.

Although this is in no way scientific, it's easy enough to take a look at various schools Wikipedia pages. What stands out to me is a preponderance of controversy that is well-documented that tends to be associated with schools organized on a purely for-profit basis.

MS
    My stating Why avoid Devry, wasn't advice it was a question to you. You stated you would avoid ITT/Devry/UofPhoenix. It does come down to personal preferences. I could not attend a brick and mortar college as I do not learn in that environment.
  • bluemasonbluemason Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any specific Master's you're looking for? IT what... Info Assurance, Networking, Telecoms, MSCS....?

I am in the process of completing an undergrad (online) from a university that also has a large B&M presence, and should begin my master's next year at URI...
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Seriously though, not everyone has the ability to cut back on their work hours so that they can go back to school and some people do either need or prefer online schooling. To each their own and I can't knock anyone for picking online vs brick-n-mortar, or a 2-4 year plan vs a 5-8 year plan. As long as you like the path you've chosen and it gets you where you want to go, more power to ya.

I think the real problem here lies with the phrase "accredited online universities" - the focus needs to be on who is doing the accreditation and what reputation that individual university has in your chosen field and area and even in the individual company you want to work for or are already working for. Anyone can be accredited, but certain types of accreditation are more prestigious than others. I'd have to look it up to be sure, but if you have a choice between places that are either nationally or regionally accredited, choose regional...it's a higher standard of accreditation.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have a wife and kids and there is no way I could stop working to pursue school. I could take evening classes but then when would I spend time with my family? For someone like me online is the best option. School is not always the highest priority in life, but that doesn't mean you should just forget about it.

Maybe one day when you grow up and have responsibilities other than to yourself you will understand what prioritization really is....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Nuwin wrote: »
    Live off loans?!?!?! Seriously? I do not find that to be sound advice/constructive criticism at all. I would question the priorities in that statement...
    Agreed, while student loans are a good "investment" in some ways if you can get low rates, it's not the best fiscal advice nor is it right for everyone. And Suze Orman's & Dave Ramsey's heads just popped at the "live off loans" statement...icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

My stating Why avoid Devry, wasn't advice it was a question to you. You stated you would avoid ITT/Devry/UofPhoenix. It does come down to personal preferences. I could not attend a brick and mortar college as I do not learn in that environment.

That was some one in the thread prior to me. His handle is OoteR.

I have no issue with how someone learns. Traditional and online schools both offer online classes...and guess what, UoP and Devry both have class rooms for students who want a traditional experience. I don't personally think changes the situation much, as few schools these days do not offer at least some classes online...they really have to to survive in that business at this point.

My advice is more along the lines of avoid schools that are organized along purely for-profit lines. Controversy tends to follow these schools and is well-documented; people seeking degrees and spending tons of money on it should look for the most controversy-free options, as controversy has a tendency to affect the perception of a school.

MS
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I would also say Devry is a really good school if you want to do IT. The amount of Cisco Books i have read has prepared me well in the IT sector. Devry course load is a ton so be prepared to do alot of reading,ilabs,assignments and essays. You need two read about 1000 to 1600 pages each 8 week session and do all the daily required posts. I am taking their Network & Communications Management Degree and will graduate in 2010 with a Bachelors in Science. I am extremely happy with Devry and would not be able to actually attend class with work a two years old and a fiancee you just graduated med school.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    ULWiz wrote: »
    I would also say Devry is a really good school if you want to do IT. The amount of Cisco Books i have read has prepared me well in the IT sector. Devry course load is a ton so be prepared to do alot of reading,ilabs,assignments and essays. You need two read about 1000 to 1600 pages each 8 week session and do all the daily required posts. I am taking their Network & Communications Management Degree and will graduate in 2010 with a Bachelors in Science. I am extremely happy with Devry and would not be able to actually attend class with work a two years old and a fiancee you just graduated med school.

Te problems with DeVry's coursework is that they use the old Cisco books based off the 640-801 exam and they do not use the Networking Academy. Don't get me wrong, they teach you a few things but not much. When I took the lab courses it was already stuff I knew and we had 4 routers for 10 students to share. It was a joke.

I'll be glad when I can walk away from DeVry. Next step willl be some hard work to make up some pre-reqs and then it's on to a B&M school for a Masters degree that matters.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I would say you learn more than just a few things. But again online school is about how much you put into it.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    ULWiz wrote: »
    But again online school is about how much you put into it.
    That's true of any school.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    That's true of any school.
    Agreed. I'm only a couple classes into my CS degree (at a B&M uni), but I can see the gaping difference in results between those who put in the effort and those who don't. Each student should know that it's up to them to do something other than just occasionally show up for class and send texts to their friends/significant other during class, but it's amazing how many folks are hesitant to do read or homework or pay attention or study. It's sad really.

• RiskblingRiskbling Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Live off loans?!?!?! Seriously? I do not find that to be sound advice/constructive criticism at all. I would question the priorities in that statement...

If it is of any value, I obtained my degree from Bellevue University. They have a variety of degrees that are offered online, and a few online accelerated degrees as well. Not necessarily a plug for them, but I was successful in their program.

I pulled this from their FAQ section...

# Is an online degree as respected as a degree earned in class?

Yes, the degree you earn online at Bellevue University is accredited, and is respected by employers throughout the country. Diplomas and transcripts from Bellevue University do not distinguish between online and in-class course delivery.

Bellevue University | Real Learning for Real Life

This amazes me that Bellevue University knows everyones opinion about online degree credibility. Eveyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone has their own opinion. Obviously a sales pitch. I mean honestly, haven't you heard of that guy that got a Bachelors of Science from ITT-Tech in two years and is now living the dream? I see it everyday on TV, and all that tells me is that they are spending more money on commercials than education.

Personally, I don't think an online degree is "Respected" as a traditional degree. However, I believe that it is as "Acceptable" in most cases, of course it depends on the accreditation/school.

Out.
  • NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Riskbling wrote: »
    This amazes me that Bellevue University knows everyones opinion about online degree credibility. Eveyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone has their own opinion. Obviously a sales pitch. I mean honestly, haven't you heard of that guy that got a Bachelors of Science from ITT-Tech in two years and is now living the dream? I see it everyday on TV, and all that tells me is that they are spending more money on commercials than education.

Personally, I don't think an online degree is "Respected" as a traditional degree. However, I believe that it is as "Acceptable" in most cases, of course it depends on the accreditation/school.

Out.

I think you missed the point on Bellevue's comment. They indicate that by taking their coursework in class or online will not matter on your transcripts. There is no indication how the material was received.

Bellevue is also not a nationally accredited, for-profit school. They're a private, regionally accredited, non-profit in Nebraska.

Anyway, their point, and my point is that if you go through a traditional school that has an online delivery channel, you get the same degree as the in-class student. There is no distinction between online or in class on your degree or transcripts.

It's not major league baseball. There is no asterisk.

If you need online schooling, I suggest the traditional school that now offers coursework in an online format. The fact that this discussion exists shows that there is a negative attitude for some towards the ITT, DeVry, etc. schools of the world. And if we have it, we know hiring managers will also have it.
    "By the power of Grayskull"
    I think you missed the point on Bellevue's comment. They indicate that by taking their coursework in class or online will not matter on your transcripts. There is no indication how the material was received.

Bellevue is also not a nationally accredited, for-profit school. They're a private, regionally accredited, non-profit in Nebraska.

Anyway, their point, and my point is that if you go through a traditional school that has an online delivery channel, you get the same degree as the in-class student. There is no distinction between online or in class on your degree or transcripts.

It's not major league baseball. There is no asterisk.

If you need online schooling, I suggest the traditional school that now offers coursework in an online format. The fact that this discussion exists shows that there is a negative attitude for some towards the ITT, DeVry, etc. schools of the world. And if we have it, we know hiring managers will also have it.

+1 I agree..it's not that all the online programs aren't accredited or have a good program. Getting a degree from a well known school whether it be online or in class will look better than anything else. I was set to goto Capella at one point, but a school in my area accepted me. I chose the school in my area since I have the flexibility needed for me and the well known name for my area. If I had gone to Capella I'm sure I would get some questions as to what/where that school is. Just keep that in mind when choosing a school, no matter what a well known school will stand out more then any of the solely online schools.
  • katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone done the InfoSec Master's at Nova? I saw that post and since I am down here in Miami, this can be a great option for me since I can go online or go to the campus.
    katakatak wrote: »
    Has anyone done the InfoSec Master's at Nova? I saw that post and since I am down here in Miami, this can be a great option for me since I can go online or go to the campus.
    I looked at the InfoSec program at NSE back in late 2004, but the material just wasn't in the direction that I wanted. I seem to remember part of the requirements was a calculus class, and that told me there was probably more theory than practice in their program (I haven't looked at it recently). I decided instead that Capella's program was more to my desired direction in InfoSec.

I actually graduated form Nova High School on that same campus in Davie, and I thought getting a degree from NSE would be sweetly ironic, but it was not to be for me.
    katakatak wrote: »

mengo17 is doing his masters there and should be almost done...He has said great things about the program. It is tough from what I have heard but they seem to have a nice program...if I get a second masters I may go for the MS in CS from there.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I looked at the InfoSec program at NSE back in late 2004, but the material just wasn't in the direction that I wanted. I seem to remember part of the requirements was a calculus class, and that told me there was probably more theory than practice in their program (I haven't looked at it recently). I decided instead that Capella's program was more to my desired direction in InfoSec.

The cryptology class at Capella wasn't heavy in the math area?
  • katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well one of the reasons NSU caught my attention is because I am looking for something a bit more practical than theory, and also it sounded a bit more professional than some of these online colleges. Also how does Capella fare? I heard some pretty bad things about it, ranging from taking your money to being a dipolma-mill.