Options

Looking for a good book...

I'm looking for a book that offers practical, real world advice on administration of both simple and complex Microsoft networks. A Unix/Linux resource would be a great as well. I'm looking less for theory and more on just suggestions and good, sound advice. I have the MS Press books for the MCSE track, just looking for something else. Any recommendations?

EDIT: In other words, not a book soley intended for passing a cert exam.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out the Resource Kits, Administrator's Companions, Inside Out, etc.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll second the Microsoft Resource kits. They really are great. But I also can't stress watching cbtnuggets.com or the ilk first on the subject.

I can't speak for Linux with any authority through. But generally, you want to stay vendor specific at first and then branch out.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    The Inside Out books seem to get great reviews. I was looking at Staneks Server 03 and 08 books.
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I'll second the Microsoft Resource kits. They really are great. But I also can't stress watching cbtnuggets.com or the ilk first on the subject.

I can't speak for Linux with any authority through. But generally, you want to stay vendor specific at first and then branch out.
    Yep, that's what I'm doing now. Working on MCDST and MCSA/MCSE this year. Then plans of MCITP in 2010.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Check out the Resource Kits, Administrator's Companions, Inside Out, etc.
    So I went ahead and purchased the Server 03 Inside Out book by Stanek and all I have to say is WOW...great book. Just jam packed with information. I'm now using it as a supplement for my core exam studies. I might go so far as to say you could solely use this resource for all MCSE core exams and maybe even the 297. The AD section is particularly informative. icon_thumright.gif

EDIT: It really does cover everything "Inside Out". I was reading through information in the AD section that probably goes way beyond the scope of any exam.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    djhss68 wrote: »
    The Inside Out books seem to get great reviews. I was looking at Staneks Server 03 and 08 books.

Seconded. 1400 pages of pretty much 90% you'll come across on a daily basis.
  • Options
    GAngel wrote: »
    Seconded. 1400 pages of pretty much 90% you'll come across on a daily basis.
    So I decided that I'm going to read through Server 2003 Inside Out cover-to-cover(in addition to the MS Press material) before I go for the 293,294, and 297. That should be enough for preparation. :D
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    djhss68 wrote: »
    So I decided that I'm going to read through Server 2003 Inside Out cover-to-cover(in addition to the MS Press material) before I go for the 293,294, and 297. That should be enough for preparation. :D

You don't really need to read it to pass the exams but it will teach you one hell of alot. I havn't even read half the book myself there's just too much in there. I only read chapters I need or are of particular interest.