System Architect?

sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, what is a systems/network designer/architect called? A systems engineer?

Basically, I think I'd like to design system and network solutions for business, but I'm not sure what that would be called. I'd just like to put a name on my eventual goal. :D It makes it easier to work towards!
A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    All of the above. It really depends on the company what they call their positions. I've seen design engineer, architect and some are just "consultant."
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's kinda bad when the title goes backwards sometimes.

I'm a computer tech II. I do everying up to and including Exchange configuring and server installs. I also replace joe blow's monitor when it goes out though, I think it gets me there.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TDA
    Technical Design Architect
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I am a Systems Engineer where I work which is really this in a nutshell. I plan, study, document and design an infrastructure solution from beginning to the end. After I design it and fully document it I hand it off to the server guys to manage.

So for example If we are going to upgrade VMWare I would read the new whitepapers, install it in the lab and document what I am doing as I test things and figure out all the in's and outs and then figure out the best way to make it co-exist in our infrastructure(this is an important step). Hope that helps some. I design everything from Microsoft Active Directory stuff to VMWare, backups, scripts to automate things etc.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am a Systems Engineer where I work which is really this in a nutshell. I plan, study, document and design an infrastructure solution from beginning to the end. After I design it and fully document it I hand it off to the server guys to manage.

So for example If we are going to upgrade VMWare I would read the new whitepapers, install it in the lab and document what I am doing as I test things and figure out all the in's and outs and then figure out the best way to make it co-exist in our infrastructure(this is an important step). Hope that helps some. I design everything from Microsoft Active Directory stuff to VMWare, backups, scripts to automate things etc.

Cool job icon_cool.gif