Options

Alright... I want to "get" into I.T

Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
I used to post on this board... mostly negative threads about the lack of I.T jobs and how it was a waste of time and I should have done something else. Well, all this time has passed and I'm not much better off so I want to start "Over" from scratch and do it right this time around.

I still have my Associates from 1998 in Computer Networking Administration and my A+ and N+ and since I last posted on this forum which I think was 02/08 I have worked 2 temporary jobs in I.T.

The first job was assisting in the set up of a Conference in Miami Beach, the title was "Conference Support Technician" it was a 2 day assignment.

And the second was a 4 month assignment with the Supervisor Of Elections office in Broward, County Florida... the title was Helpdesk Technician.

basically simple PC Support jobs mostly putting computers together and taking them apart. The "helpdesk" job was mostly running the voting machines (called Evid) and the Printers which printed out the voting ballots during the Early Election.

Wasn't really I.T related but I got the job due to my A+ certification.

So I want to get back into I.T, I want to continue down the Networking path. I was think MCSA or MCP is next.

I really want to attain a stable position within a company so I can go back to school... something like Desktop Support which is similar to the jobs I had in the past.

I've been working most as a Security Officer overnight in a bank, quiet lonely job that gave free coffee so I can't complain but I need to make money that can assist my living situation. I'm almost 35 and I was seriously considering Biomedical Engineering.... similar to I.T but mostly medical equipment what I'll be working on.

I was advised by many to **** I.T and stick with medical, due to my age and lack of experience... it's not really a bad idea but I like Technology regardless so I want to be involved in the technical aspect either way.

Comments

• Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Your situation is very common, but hey don't let that age thing stop you from what you want to achieve. Let me narrate what one of my professors who's an extremely kind and supportive fellow told me. He's around 60, so he is very experienced.

I'm 34. Two years ago, I went to seek his advice about career choices and I mentioned to him about my age. He said, "You have over 30 years ahead of you before you retire, so don't let the age factor stop you, you're young". That advice really got into my brain.

So if I were you, I wouldn't let the age factor stop me. In fact, it's warning call that you must do what you want do before you turn 65. Because then you will have less energy to start a degree!

Start getting more certifications, but first decide on an area such as security, network admin, database etc.

Good luck young fellaw :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember you!

Sorry to hear things didn't work out on the medical front. If you're coming back to IT, just be sure you're ready to commit yourself 100% to it. It might take you 2-3 years to get where you want to be. If you can't do that, you're just going to keep spinning your wheels.

Let us know if you have any questions, good luck, and welcome back!
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Main Event wrote: »
    I used to post on this board... mostly negative threads about the lack of I.T jobs and how it was a waste of time and I should have done something else. Well, all this time has passed and I'm not much better off so I want to start "Over" from scratch and do it right this time around.

I still have my Associates from 1998 in Computer Networking Administration and my A+ and N+ and since I last posted on this forum which I think was 02/08 I have worked 2 temporary jobs in I.T.

The first job was assisting in the set up of a Conference in Miami Beach, the title was "Conference Support Technician" it was a 2 day assignment.

And the second was a 4 month assignment with the Supervisor Of Elections office in Broward, County Florida... the title was Helpdesk Technician.

basically simple PC Support jobs mostly putting computers together and taking them apart. The "helpdesk" job was mostly running the voting machines (called Evid) and the Printers which printed out the voting ballots during the Early Election.

Wasn't really I.T related but I got the job due to my A+ certification.

So I want to get back into I.T, I want to continue down the Networking path. I was think MCSA or MCP is next.

I really want to attain a stable position within a company so I can go back to school... something like Desktop Support which is similar to the jobs I had in the past.

I've been working most as a Security Officer overnight in a bank, quiet lonely job that gave free coffee so I can't complain but I need to make money that can assist my living situation. I'm almost 35 and I was seriously considering Biomedical Engineering.... similar to I.T but mostly medical equipment what I'll be working on.

I was advised by many to **** I.T and stick with medical, due to my age and lack of experience... it's not really a bad idea but I like Technology regardless so I want to be involved in the technical aspect either way.

I would think with your education, experience, and certifications you will be able to get a desktop support postion with little problems. The pay may not be the greatest but it may be fairly decent. While looking for a position I would recommend working on the MCTS/MCITP in Windows Server 2008 unless you think you can get the MCSE done failrly quickly. Once you get back into IT it is very possible to make a very good living in IT. There are plenty of options you can take like Exchange, Linux, Cisco, Unix, Windows Admin, VOIP, Security etc... Just remember there are a lot of different paths you can take in IT and some are in very high demand.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welcome back.

The bottom line is it's going to take you more than a year or so to get there. I have pretty standard recommendations for anyone who wants to get into IT.

You can expect to spend the next year and half to two years on these certs...
    CCENT >> MCDST >> CCNA >> MCSA

If you are faster than I am, you could slap some Linux in there too,
    Linux+ >> LPIC-1 >> RHCT >> RHCE.

You are gonna want to start volunteering at your local library, church or senior center to help people with your computer skills. Oh, and join your local computer user's group like Welcome to PacITPros, where you learn IT today and use IT tomorrow!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    I'll start with the MCSA then CCNA, thanks to everyone.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Have to agree with the previous posts. A helpdesk job in my area pays anywhere between 35 to 45K depending on work experience. I would get started with your MCSA and CCNA tracks and get pounding away like us all.

Best of Luck
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress