A+ NET+ SEC+ assistance

LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
my title changed to information systems administrator (it will next week)... i have been doing mainly electronics repair, little bit of server/networking the last decade. I just got my net+ today, sec+ 2 weeks ago, A+ 5yrs ago.

My main question is... MCSA/MCSE or CISSP? your thoughts.... not even my bosses know my career path, "this is all new for us too, we just wanted to keep you"

i was about to put in my 2week notice (much closer job, much better pay) to my company when suddenly I received two counter offers from two other companies; original company won, but now i went from a nobody to someone my director and his boss were begging to stay.
CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
Microsoft: MCSA 2003

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depending on what server you are using, I would start with the MCSA or MCITP tracks.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been using Server2003 last 3+ yrs. Will have to implement 2008, sooner than I think, and that would be me doing it.

I have not heard of a MCSE 2008

I know Im just touching a tip of the iceberg on Server2003. all ive done on it is build it up, ie AD, DNS, IIS, run Exchange 2003 on it, etc, and test it with what we got (VoIP/RoIP voice/data technologies). For my purposes, all we do is use it for pop3 + exchange mail. however one of our higher ups is all about the newest bling stuff and i know they will be asking about S2k8+E2k7, running S2K3+E2K3 now.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I would say, start with the MCSA 2003 first of all, you've already 1/4 of the way there as you've already got the A+ & network+ combination or you can use your Security+. Heck you can get your MCSA & MCSA: Security.

I would say do the 70-620 (Vista) exam, this will get you the MCTS. Then the 70-290 & 70-291 (these you have to do as they are 2 of the core requirements for the MCSA), then inform MS of your Comptia certs... After that you'll have the following:

MCP, MCTS & the MCSA

If you do 1 more specified MS exam (see here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx#tab3)

You can get your MCSA: Security.

The 2003 will continue to be mainstream at least for another 5 years (that's when extended support will end).

Then when you get more experience with 2008, do the upgrade exams :)

-Ken
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Lamini wrote: »
    ...I have not heard of a MCSE 2008...

That's because the last ever MCSE will be for 2003.

2008 will have 2 routes/tracks:

MCITP: Server Admin this is for administering 2008 environments & the
    MCITP: Enterprise Admin this one is for designing 2008 environments.

-Ken
  • elgecko69elgecko69 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went the Sec+, MCSE Security route before I studied for the CISSP. I think that that was the best path for me. I currently help create security policies for small to mid range businesses. The MCSE helped me understand Group Policy Objects and how they apply to domain security.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    If your a sysadmin definitely do the Microsoft certs
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    I would say since you have experience with server 2003 and use it on the job, start with MS. After you get through the MS track, then study others.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    70-290 is the most valuable exam I've done, and I think anyone else working in server 2k3 should at least study the material. If I were you and you still need to do certs, I would do that exam next - or the equivalent for server 2k8 depending on your needs.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ninjaboy,

Thanks for your input. I was going to get the two server cores done first, then the XP. I was advised by neighboring CISSP to avoid the VISTA cert however as its one of the biggest pieces of junk MS released. I have yet to see it on NIPR or SIPRNETs. Im prior military (and now serve those who serve), and Vista is just not there (i have never seen it) and feel as it would be a waste of time, specially with Windows7 RC2 out (what Im on now and free), which rocks so far for me. your thoughts?

Regardless, I will have the server cores done first as thats where I need more experience... then probably XP, unless you have better ideas other than another cert (which is not bad, I need all I can get), or if Windows 7 gets released this year.

If I continue the hours Ive been putting in for studying, I think I can get 290 before the fall college classes start (sep), so hopefully two months is enough time, it should be (3-4hrs/night, 4+ on weekend nights).

elgecko69, I am headed your route. Since I already have Sec+, why not. Its not for everybody, even IT security people failed that course. My X cissp boss tells me to forget microsoft stuff and go straight for cissp since i just got sec+ ("use it while its still fresh in your head"), then work yourself backwards (degrees, ms certs) if you want the money ($=:), "cissp will bring the money". but i dont think im ready for that just yet, i think... i get the feeling that im closer than i think. only problem with that route is, its not server, which im kinda responsible for, so most likely after mcsa/mcse and server2008

im just glad i got my title corrected/changed (and the pay), hard to believe i was making pizza driver pay while having to work part time at staples on top of running pc repair business just couple yrs ago. instead of working harder, i put the "work smarter" in action and focused on studies (certs+college). i can finally go to work and... breathe now, work is a different outlook. i get to make plans and implement them, im part of a structure, not some peon anymore told what to do, and people can tell. One word spelled out last couple yrs for me, frustration, but thats no more.
  • KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    MCP > MCSA > MCSA: Security > MCSE > MCSE: Security > CISSP
    icon_wink.gif
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Lamini wrote: »
    Ninjaboy,

Thanks for your input. I was going to get the two server cores done first, then the XP. I was advised by neighboring CISSP to avoid the VISTA cert however as its one of the biggest pieces of junk MS released. I have yet to see it on NIPR or SIPRNETs. Im prior military (and now serve those who serve), and Vista is just not there (i have never seen it) and feel as it would be a waste of time, specially with Windows7 RC2 out (what Im on now and free), which rocks so far for me. your thoughts?
    The main reason I'd recommended 620 over 270 is that it's got forward mobility - you can use it at your OS exam for MCSA/MCSE and for MCITP. The MCTS Vista exam isn't the most heavily respected exam but it's not a total piece of junk either...if it was, then everyone who uses Vista would pass it. Seems like MS tried to address several different types of users with the certs for Vista and the 620 exam came out much "lighter" than the 270 exams because of it. Looks like they corrected that with the 680 exam though, as I found it much more indepth than the 620.

Now all that being said...if you don't use Vista at work and there are no plans to upgrade to Vista, then there's no reason not to do the 270 exam. If you're currently using XP at work, then see if you can find out if there are any planned upgrades, and if so whether they'll be going to Vista or Windows 7 - that can help guide your cert path.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion