Options

Preparing BSCI

kcwong13kcwong13 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

Currently in preparing BSCI, the material that i current use was Authorized Self-Study Guide BSCI 642-901 3rd Ed, have anybody got extra material that can intro me..?? Seen like single book is not that sufficient..!! icon_lol.gif

Cheers,

Kc
Try not look like a Expert but be a Real Expert

Path to CCNP: BSCI -> BCMSN -> ISCW -> ONT

Cheers,

Kc

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm paging my way through the CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide as my primary study guide for this exam, but I'm also reading Routing TCP/IP Volume I and Volume II, but that's mainly because I'm trying to build up as much knowledge as I can as I go along the CCNP path so that I'm ready for bigger and better things down the road.

Because I'm studying not only for the exam, but towards expert-level knowledge, I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can so I can really get the most out of my lab-work. I'm probably going to pick up Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols on the recommendation of a colleague, Internet Routing Architectures on the recommendation of a former boss, as well as Cisco OSPF Command and Configuration Handbook and Understanding IPv6, Second Edition because those are both areas I'm weak on. And, knowing me, I'll probably need something to help digest multicasting.

These are, of course, just suggested reading. There are plenty more good books out there that cover BSCI topics, and you don't necessarily need to read all of these, in addition to the study guide, to pass the exam. I hope these recommendations have helped you out, good luck with your studies and your exam. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    kcwong13kcwong13 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Slowhand,

I agreed with you, reading and understand more thing is very important when we are taking the exam, I'm read many old thread and found that quite number of friend here fail few time before it pass, I'm ready for the hard time, hopefully I can get every single piece of paper with first try ..!! icon_lol.gif quite impossible..!! icon_redface.gif

Thanks for intro me the material, I will try to look into it..!!
    Try not look like a Expert but be a Real Expert

Path to CCNP: BSCI -> BCMSN -> ISCW -> ONT

Cheers,

Kc
  • Options
    qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Start with these "Nasty Green books"
    CP Authorized Study-Guide BSCI
    CP BSCI Lab Portfolio
    CP TCP/IP Routing Vol 1
    CP TCP/IP Routing Vol 2
    CP BSCI Exam Guide

Use these videos:
    TS
    Nuggets

How to use(YMMV):
    Study guide > TS or Nuggets > Lab(real or gns3) > R TCP/IP vol1 or 2 > Exam guide > TS or nuggets

Since I've taken the exam and failed :P, I'm using this process
    Exam Guide(focus on lower scored domains) > TS or nuggets > Lab > R TCP/IP Vol 1 or 2 > TS or nuggets...next domain, rinse and repeat

I also suggest using Freemind
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/44199-mind-maps-ccie.html

Tutorial:
    Freemind Tutorial
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Routing TCP/IP Vol2 could probably be skipped for now. I haven't read all of it, but the chapters on EGP/BGP go beyond what is needed for the BSCI. Still good information though.

Internet Routing Architectures was a good book, and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting/needing more on BGP.

Definitely follow qp81's advice and read the Self Study guide before the Exam Cert Guide. Self Study laid the foundataion, and Exam Cert expected you to have that before reading it.

Also, don't forget to use Cisco's website. There is a BGP case study document out there that was great, I believe there is a similar one for OSPF.

I recommend also to work on creating a little "**** sheet." I used this for my studies and just a brain **** for going into the test. References for OSPF LSA types, EIGRP path selection, BGP attributes, subnetting, etc. I'd practice writing out what I wanted to have at my finger tips so I was ready to have it in hand when the test started.

BSCI was tough. I actually ended up giving up on the BSCI alone, and went with the composite.
  • Options
    qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    might want to consider transcender before taking teh exam...could save you some $$ and its a good confidnece boosters....
  • Options
    BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat as you guys icon_study.gif
    i am reading the Study guide but find it light so have also started going through the cert guide, TCP/IP Routing Vol1 SE, CBT "Very good", Lab work book.
    I have also got the BCSI transcender but find the question pool a bit small and fairly basic reads very much what are the default timers NBMA modes RFC Cisco. not as good as you would expect from them.
    I am loving TCP/IP Routing Vol 1 though very well writen and good questions.

Good luck

J
  • Options
    jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying for BSCII right now. I bought the CP Exam Certification Library. I don't have the self-study guides. I just finished reading chapters 1-4 and it's ok... It's not as well written as the CCNA Exam Cert Guide by Wendell Odom. There's less why, less analysis of show/debug output, etc.

I'm going straight to studying for the CCIE after this, however, and I already bought all the books I will need for that, so I've decided to read Routing TCP/IP along with the official cert guide. So I will read the cert guide, and then I will read the corresponding chapter in Routing TCP/IP.

Oh and I have the lab portfolio book too, but I haven't looked at it yet. I have Internet Routing Architectures as well, but I probably won't go too in to it for the CCNP.